Sacrificial Lamb

I instantly froze. It definitely wasn't Scott, but it wasn't Ryland either.

With shaky legs, I backed up, trying to calm my racing heart. I flinched at the sound of something getting knocked over from the living room.

"Come on, Babe! Ryland said you'd be here," he pointed out.

As soon as I heard footsteps coming down the hallway, I dropped to the floor and hurriedly pulled myself under the bed. I brought up my hand, covering my mouth to keep my breaths silent.

I turned around, looking toward the door with wide eyes as a pair of bulky brown boots appeared, facing into the room.

The man let out an ugly laugh. "He also said you were staying with a friend and that I needed to be careful with him."

My heart pounded harder, and I had to squeeze my eyes shut to keep from crying out. I watched as he walked forward, turning toward my bedside table.

He picked up my phone before letting out a displeased sound.

"Oh Ryland, that sly bastard," he started before laughing. "I wonder what Scotty did wrong this time if Ry's sending me after his poor little friend," he murmured before turning toward the bathroom.

As soon as he was in the bathroom, I dragged myself forward, scurrying out from beneath the bed.

I tried to remain silent as I rushed out of the room and out of the hallway.

"Ah ah ah, not so fast Sweetheart!" the man called out, sending chills down my spine.

I came to a halt at the front door, breathing heavily as I grabbed the handle. As soon as I pulled the door open, merely an inch, a large hand reached past me, slamming it shut.

The man gripped onto my bicep before heading back down the hall. "Well, aren't you a cute little thing?" he taunted before pushing me toward the bed.

"Who are you?" I choked out in a meek tone as he grabbed my wrist, before handcuffing me to the headboard of the bed.

"The name's Curtis, and I'm quite disappointed to be honest," he declared before pulling his phone out of his pocket.

I wasn't sure if it was smart to keep talking, but I pushed forward anyway. "Why's that?"

He looked at me suspiciously. "You're letting Scott live with you, but you don't know?" he questioned, furrowing his eyebrows.

I furrowed my eyebrows, trying to put the pieces together. I swallowed nervously as he put his phone to his ear.

"The kid's a prostitute. A pretty damn good one, at that. Been working for Ryland since he was 18," he explained, before turning away slightly.

My stomach dropped, and I looked up at Curtis, completely dumbfounded.

Things were starting to make sense. Ryland and Scott were never together. Scott worked for Ryland and tried to get out of it.

"Yeah, I got the friend. I want what I was promised though," Curtis grumbled angrily into the phone.

I heard a muffled response before Curtis rolled his eyes. He pulled the phone from his ear before pressing a button and holding the phone between us.

"Scotty's with a customer right now. You'll get your turn, no worries. I'm more interested in talking with Mitchy," Ryland explained. "You can hear me, right baby?"

I swallowed nervously at the sound of his voice, but forced myself to remain calm. "Why am I a part of this?"

He let out a simple chuckle. "You two tried to double cross me. When Scott agreed to work for me again, his only terms were that his precious little Mitchy wouldn't get hurt. But...whenever he fucks up, I have to remind him to stay in line. So, if you wanna blame someone, blame him."