Here

Chapter 14: Here

"John."

I say his name with no more than a breathy whisper. He hears. His head slowly turns around and my eyes meet his. My stomach drops.

At first I want fall to the ground and cry, but then my sorrow turns into anger. Anger and disappointment. I take one, uneasy step towards John and feel unable to go any further.

I immediately turn around and run towards the elevator. I furiously press the down button over and over again when I heard John's fast-paced footsteps coming from behind me.

John: "Katy!"

The elevator door opens. I rush inside and press the lobby floor button. Before the doors can close, John's hand stops them. He steps inside the elevator and I can feel my chest tighten.

John: "Katy, I am so sorry! My phone..."

"Not here! I can't..."

I let out a loud groan. I feel John's hand touch my shoulder. I instantly brush him off of me.

The elevator doors open on the main floor and I stomp out into the lobby, hiding my face from anyone who might recognize me. John follows annoyingly close behind me as I make my way out the back to an empty alleyway.

John: "Please understand! My phone was off! I just needed a couple days to blow off some steam!"

I don't say anything. I just stare at his face, shaking my head, surprised that there's not actual steam blowing from my ears or tears rolling down my face.

John: "I would never purposely ignore or hurt you. I love you, Katy!"

"What the hell? You needed to 'blow off some steam?' There is no reason. No reason, John!"

I take a deep breath, pushing the sweaty palm of my hand against my forehead.

"You should have been here."

John: "I know. I'm sorry. What can I do? I'll do anything!"

"I needed you here."

John: "I'm here now."

His hand reaches for mine. I gently grab it. It feels different than it once did. Not as warm. But it's still John.

I'm weak and give into him. I forgive him easily. I love him.

He pulls me in and embraces me. I take in a deep breath of his scent. It longs of familiarity and safety. But now it also aches, yet for some reason, I cannot name why.