Try

Chapter 11: Try

I wake up shivering, laying on the hardwood floor of my kitchen. The bottle of scotch is still in my hand, more than halfway gone. My head feels like someone drilled a nail into it. It throbs as every pulse goes through my body.

I check the time; 5:30 am.

Shit! How did that happen? What time did we get home yesterday? How long did I sit here, drinking, until I fell asleep?

I pull myself up onto the counter and suddenly become overwhelmed with nausea. I lean over the sink and vomit.

Yup, that stuff burns coming up too.

I mix together my special hangover remedy and somehow manage to drink it all without throwing up.

My alarm on my phone goes off, reminding me that I have an interview at 7:30 am.

God, could my phone be any louder!

I wobbly make my way upstairs to get ready for the day. John is sound asleep in bed. I try to get ready without making noise, but accidentally hit my shin into the dresser.

"Damn! Ouch!"

John begins to wake up and mumbles at me.

John: "Babe, what are you doing?"

"What does it look like? I'm getting ready! I have that interview I have to be to!"

John: "Sweetie, come to bed. I'll call Tamara and tell her you have to reschedule."

"No! I made a commitment and I'm going to follow through with it!"

John: "Katy, you need time to process and recover from what happened."

"John, I'm fine! I'm not going to let something like this hold me back. I had my moment of weakness yesterday, and now I'm over it and can move on."

John: "Are you sure?"

"Yes!"

Although whether or not that's true, I can't let it effect me.

"Now go back to sleep, and I will see you after my interview."

I get dressed, chug down several Advil, and meet my team to get my hair and makeup done.

The interview was on Good Morning America, where I've done so many interviews.

Everything goes as normal. They ask me questions about my upcoming performances, any new music coming along and tours. The somewhat recent news of John and I getting back together also comes up. I answer their questions with ease, without giving too much away, heh.

Digging deeper into my relationship, I am asked a question that throws me off guard.

"So as we all have heard before, you do want to have children. There are rumors going around saying you're pregnant. Can you confirm or deny this? Are you pregnant?"

This question stabs deep into my heart. I pause, not knowing how to respond. I want to stop the interview to gather my thoughts, but it's a live broadcast. The longer I wait to answer, the more suspicious it looks.

"No."

I smile and laugh it off.

"I can guarantee that I am not pregnant!"

My eyes seem to glaze over as the rest of the interview goes by in a blink. Afterwards, I take some pictures with fans and autograph different items for them.

Thankfully, my schedule has been pretty light lately, so that interview was all I had to do today. So I decide to head home.

My mind has that question they asked on replay.