Chapter:14

Trey age: four years six months

Blake

I sat on the back porch watching as Casey led Trix around on a lunge line as Trey rode around in a circle. The small diamond ring on my left ring finger let off a small glint when the setting sun hit it just right. "Alright buddy. It's getting dark out. Time to bed Trix down." Casey said as he brought Trix closer to him. Trey nodded before letting Casey set him down off Trix. He walked on the other side of Casey as he was told so he wasn't stepped on. Even though Trix wouldn't purposely step on him.

Casey winked at me before turning back to Trey and Trix. When they got to the paddock something spooked Trix. I jumped from my seat as Casey stood in the way of a kick. Trey had gotten scared to and was out of the way when Casey was. My son came running up to the porch. "Stay here." I told him before going to move Trix. He settled as soon as he was out in the paddock. Casey was standing trying to catch his breath. "I'm fine. Where's Trey?" He asked.

"Up on the porch." I said. He sighed holding his stomach. "That's not going to be a pretty bruise." He said. "And two months before the wedding." I said. "Shouldn't look too bad. Probably a little blue still, maybe some purple." He said chuckling. I shook my head. "Think a shower and an ice pack will help." He said. We walked up to the front porch and inside the house. "Is Casey ok?" Trey asked. I picked him up. "He'll be fine. Just a little sore baby." I told him.

"Is it supper time?" He asked. I then walked with him on my hip to the bedroom. "Case. Weren't we supposed to eat dinner with your parents tonight?" I called. "Yeah. We were. Now actually. I'll call and explain why we're going to be twenty minutes late." He said. I took Trey back in yonder sitting him on the couch with some cartoons. A few minutes later Ali and Buck came in. Trey never took his eyes off the tv. Buck crept up behind him.

"Dad don't scare him." Casey said going to the kitchen. Trey turned to see Buck. Not phased. I went into the kitchen followed by Ali. "How bad were you kicked?" She asked. "Not too terribly. It was the edge of his hoof." Casey told her. I could see Buck laid back on the couch watching the cartoon and Trey at the same time. When the meal was heated up we sat around the table. Casey prayed over the meal before we dug into it.

"Anything else needing to be planned before the wedding?" Ali asked. "Not that we can think of. Have to pick the dress up next week and send out invites." I said. "Almost done with those. Should be able to get them in the mail Tuesday." Casey said. "All good then. Two more months and everything is ready." Buck said. After dinner Trey was super tired. "I'll give him a bath honey. You can go get a shower if you like." Casey said after his parents left.

I nodded going to get a shower. When I got out I went and saw Casey was sitting in the recliner with Trey tucked into his side. I could tell Trey was wiped out for no nap this afternoon. He'll be starting kindergarten this coming year after he turns five. I watched as Casey looked down before picking him up in his arms carrying him to his bedroom. He spotted me giving me a light smile. I then led the way to Trey's room. The covers were pulled back, he was set in the bed, then the covers over him.

He didn't stir, only curled under the covers more. I kissed his forehead before following Casey out. Casey caught me in his arms holding me to him. He kissed me quietly before leading the way to the living room. He pulled me onto the couch with him nearly on top of him holding me close. "What did I do to deserve you?" He asked. "Stepped in when someone was threatening the single mom next door." I said. He kissed me once more before sitting up holding me flush against him.

I let him lead knowing he'll stop if it starts to go in a certain direction.