Chapter 29

Emily POV

"Bring your best 13. Your girl's watching," Number 7 on the other team spits at me, a mean look in his eyes.

I chuckle, "yeah. And she's about to watch me grind your ass into the ground." His smirk disappears and turns into a pissed off frown.

The ref blows the whistle and CeCe jumps up, slapping the ball to me.

I grab it and dribble all the way down the court. I bypass the other guys and get a 3-pointer. 

Alison POV

The first half of the game, Emily's on fire. She keeps looking over at me and overtime she does, I smile lovingly back and blow a kiss, wink, or smile.

The Sharks are up 27-25 so it's getting tight. Emily goes up for a shot but a guy jumps and shoves her to the ground. 

I jump to my feet while everyone gasps. Emily rolls onto her stomach and groans, then stands up, stumbling a little.

CeCe jogs over, "you alright?" I hear and Emily looks at me. I give her a look filled with concern and worry. She nods, "yeah. I'm fine."

I smile and she winks at me while the ref gives Emily the ball for the foul shots.

She gets both in and it's half-time. 

Emily POV

Coach Durham gives a few plays, a pep-talk and we're back on the court. Except my dad pulls me over, "what the hell are you doing?"

I frown, "I got 21 points, Dad."

"Yeah, and you should've gotten all 27."

His eyes are cold and angry, making me want to walk away but if I do, I'll be in even more shit.

"I was just being a good teammate."

"Well be a good player. You need to be a machine, Emily. No child of mine will be a disappointment. I already had one of those." He glances in CeCe's direction and I roll my eyes at his idiocy.

"And you need to get your head in the game. That little blonde girl you keep staring at? When I was in high school I never had distractions. It was all about the game. My life was all about the game."

My blood boiling, I glare at him, "maybe life is about more than just basketball, Dad." I look up at Alison and see her staring at me. I walk away from my dad and jog up the bleachers.

"Are you okay?" She asks and I nod, "yeah. But I'd be better if I had a good luck kiss."

She smiles and leans up, kissing me.

"Now get out there Hoop girl."

I smile at her and run to the bench, letting coach say who's going on the court. I get on and we go back and forth.

27-27

29-27

29-29

With only 13 seconds left, we're losing 52-53.

Everyone screams and I go for a dunk when once again, number 7 shoves me. Another foul, right when the buzzer goes off.

Everyone screams, "COME ON EMILY!"

"LET'S GO KID!" I look at Dad and he's staring at me, "come on Emily. Let's go," he nods and I look around and see Alison. 

She smiles gently at me and gives me a thumbs up. I feel my heart swell in my chest, and I bite my lip, my mind on the feel of her lips against mine.