Chapter 17

"Love?" 

Maine turned her head and saw RJ take the empty space beside her at the bay window. 

She reached for his hand with her right, which he happily held, and gave it a weak squeeze. 

"Are you okay, love?" 

Maine nodded and slowly intertwined her fingers with his, smiling as she fully clasped her hand with RJ's. 

"Okay na okay," she replied to him. 

With a smile on his face, RJ watched as she put in effort into lifting their hands, turning them over as she planted a kiss on the back of his hand. 

"I love seeing you smile, Menggay." 

"Isa ka sa mga rason nyan eh," she said with a smile. "Kaya, thank you for being one of my reasons to smile. Wag ka sanang mawala kahit kelan," Maine said while looking into his eyes.

"Diba, sabi ko sayo bago tayo umuwi nun na I'm here to stay? Hindi ako mawawala sayo, kahit ano pa ang mangyari," RJ said to her, also looking in her eyes. 

"Thank you," he heard her say softly. 

RJ scooted closer to Maine and let her lean on him while they both looked outside. In the kitchen, her parents were busy cleaning up after her first lunch at home since leaving for the hospital two months ago. 

"Can we go somewhere before you go home?" Maine asked in a soft voice. 

"Where would you like to go, love? Baka kung ano mangyari sayo eh." 

"I just want to take you to my special spot. Please? Dito lang naman tayo sa bahay." 

RJ looked down on her and their eyes met. He leaned down and gave her a gentle kiss on her forehead before nodding. 

"Okay, pero mag-paalam muna tayo kina tito at tita, ha?" 

"Thank you, love." 

Just outside the perimeter of the Mendoza's 5-acre ranch was a vast meadow with a creek that runs natural spring water from the mountain nearby. Whenever Maine needed time for herself away from other people and away from any other noise, she would always find herself sitting on the swing that hangs from a tree while looking out onto the landscape. 

After helping Maine off her dad's own golf cart-like ride, she asked him to sit with her on the swing. 

"Love, baka bumigay yang swing pag tinabihan kita eh." 

"Hindi ah, it's a strong one. Kayang kaya nito yang bigat mo kahit nagkaron ka na yata ng burjer kakakain mo pag nagbabantay ka sakin," Maine said with a chuckle. 

"Love, grabe ka sakin ah," RJ responded with a laugh. "Wala kaya oh, flat pa rin," he said as he lifted his shirt up to show his still-flat-and-toned stomach. 

"Parang meron ng burjer eh," she said while trying to pinch his skin just beside his belly button. "Ayan oh, meron." 

"Skin lang yan," RJ said while taking her hand and kissing it before sitting down beside her. 

"Tatay made this swing a few years ago kasi lagi nila akong hinahanap tapos nandito lang pala ako. Dyan lang ako umuupo sa grass nun kaya ginawa niya toh. May kanya-kanya kaming favorite na spot dito sa bahay eh, and this is mine." 

"Thank you for sharing your special spot with me, Meng." 

"It's just right to share this with you, and it's only one of the many things I'm willing to share with you." Just as she said those words, Maine rested her head on his shoulder and RJ knew then what her words meant.