Chapter 11

Maine and RJ wanted to make the most of every second they had before going home so they decided to start the drive at just after five in the afternoon.

At nine in the evening, RJ pulled into a long drive way that stretched over a hundred meters before making it to the side of the house where the garage was located. In the middle of a 5-acre ranch is a large, two-storey prairie craftsman style home that belonged to the Mendozas.

"Good evening po, sir," RJ said as he extended his hand to Maine's father. "Richard Faulkerson Jr. po, or RJ."

"Good evening din sayo, RJ," Teddy said as he shook his hand. "It's nice to finally talk to you ng harapan."

RJ smiled politely at Teddy before facing Mary Ann.

"Ma'am, good evening po. RJ po," he said again as he formally introduced himself to Maine's mom.

"Hijo, salamat sa paghatid mo sa Menggay namin," Mary Ann said as she held RJ's hand in both of hers. "At maraming salamat din sa pag-sama sa kanya habang nasa bakasyon."

"The pleasure's mine, ma'am," RJ answered while giving Maine a smile.

"Ikaw talagang bata ka, sabi ko sayo 'tita' na lang eh."

It might've been the first time that RJ met Maine's parents face to face, but it wasn't the first time he's spoken to them. Just before flying to Hawaii, RJ and Maine had a long conversation with her parents over the phone. It wasn't really to ask permission because they had already booked their tickets prior to the phone call; it was more on just letting them know for their peace of mind that she was in good hands. Right off the bat, during that phone conversation, Maine already knew that her mom was at ease with RJ. When Maine would call home to check in with her parents, Mary Ann would always have a brief exchange of words with RJ.

"Menggay, pasok na kayo ng nanay mo sa loob. Kami na ni RJ dito sa mga gamit mo tsaka tutulungan ko sya tanggalin yung hitch sa sasakyan nyo."

Maine looked at RJ who gave him a thumbs up.

"RJ, hijo, mag late dinner ka muna dito before you head home," Mary Ann said as she put her arm around her daughter's shoulder.

"Sige po, tita. Thank you po."

The thought of RJ being left alone with her father outside made Maine nervous, but in the back of her mind, she was confident that Teddy will see how genuine he was. And she was right, because when she went to the garage to call them for dinner, she saw her first and last love laughing at something together while they finished off outside.

Maine couldn't help but smile and just leaned on the garage door while watching them.

"Tay, RJ, kain na po," she said after some time.

"RJ, pasok ka na dun. Ipapasok ko lang tong gamit ni Meng," Teddy said to RJ.

"Sige po, tito. Kain na po tayo sa loob."

She watched Teddy give him a pat on the shoulder before RJ walked towards her.

"Ang saya ko lalo," she whispered to him as she reached for his hand.

"Ako din, Maine," RJ smiled while he held her hand.

"Ok ka lang?" Maine asked.

Anticipating that it was about his conversation with her dad, RJ smiled at her. "Sobrang okay, Maine. Sabi ni tito, next time daw na bumalik ako dito, we're gonna play golf. Meron daw kayong mini golf course sa likod?"

She knew right then and there that although the pace was unusual for them, her parents understood. Her father only offers to play golf to men associated with his daughters when he finally sees the genuine intentions they have for his princesses.