Chapter 26

Note: Disclaimer! I take full responsibility for any incorrect medical explanations in this chapter. ✌🏻

=====<>=====

When he left the ranch earlier in the evening, there was no sign that Maine would be rushed to the hospital in a matter of hours except that she still had a cough and cold. He wasn't sure what was happening, but all he was sure of was that he needed to see her immediately.

"RJ!"

Right when their car was pulling up in front of the hospital entrance, RJ jumped out even before it came to a complete stop.

Failing to stop their son from running inside, Richard let his wife out to follow RJ before he finds a parking spot.

"Sige na, I'll meet you inside," her husband said as Rio hurriedly got out of the car.

When she walked inside, she found RJ standing in front of Maine's parents who were clinging onto each other while her siblings stood by the wall. It was the look of a family trying to brave a storm.

"Tita," she heard her son say with panic in his voice. "Tita, tito, what happened? Nasan na po siya? Ano po sabi nila? Okay lang po ba siya?"

Mary Ann reached for RJ's hand and gave it a tight squeeze before hugging herself again.

"They're taking good care of her inside, hijo," Teddy said softly, his voice sounding that of a father who feels helpless.

Rio walked up to them and gave Mary Ann and Teddy a tight embrace; a parent to parent interaction that shows understanding and an offer of support.

"Tito," RJ said as his throat felt like it locked on its own. His heart was beating so fast that he could hardly keep up with his breathing too. "Ano po nangyari? Is she going to be okay?"

"She's a tough cookie, diba? Lalaban yun, anak," Maine's father said with a worried and hopeful smile.

RJ nodded and swallowed the lump in his throat as Rio wrapped her arms around him.

"Ano po nangyari?"

Mary Ann took a deep breath and reached for RJ's arm.

"Pag-alis mo kagabi nak, nagpaalam sya na magpapahinga na kasi pagod na daw sya," she said quietly, her eyes glassy, reflecting fear and worry. "Nakatulog naman siya pero inuubo pa rin."

In between her fifth and last cycle of chemotherapy, Maine caught a cold and has had cough and cold for two consecutive days already.

"Sinilip ko siya tapos nung nagising siya, hindi na ulit siya makatulog kasi nahihirapan daw siya huminga."

As Mary Ann was narrating what happened hours ago, RJ could just imagine how Maine tried to tough it out on her own first. He knew she didn't like making them worry, hence staying in her room earlier that night. Having said that, he also knew that she was feeling worse than what she makes it seem. It broke his heart thinking of Maine in such discomfort again.

"Tinabihan ko na siya kasi nilagnat na rin, pero di na talaga siya nakatulog. Ayaw nga magpadala dito eh," Mary Ann said and tears ran down her cheeks as she thought of how her daughter was. "Sabi niya pag hindi pa rin lumuwag yung paghinga niya bukas, payag na daw sya pumunta dito sa hospital."

RJ crunched his eyebrows and swallowed lump after lump in his throat.

"Kaso eto na nga, tumawag na kami ng 911 kasi sumakit na rin yung dibdib niya. Kumapit na lang yung anak ko sakin kaso wala naman ako nagawa para matulungan siya," Mary Ann's voice cracked and her cry finally broke out. "Kumapit na lang siya sakin kasi hindi na rin niya alam kung paano siya makakahinga ng maayos."