Chapter 27

Note: Disclaimer po ulit sa medical info in this chapter. Maraming maraming salamat for staying with me throughout the whole story. This chapter has been waiting to be written for so long and it was actually a lot harder to write than I expected. I think magegets nyo kung bakit when you reach the end of this chapter.

May three chapters pa po! Kaya natin toh! 😅 Thank you po ulit! Walang sawa akong magpapasalamat sa inyo dahil sobra ko kayong na-appreciate lahat. Maraming maraming salamat po. ❤️

=====<>=====

"I learned that the best way to make the most out of your life is to just live. I learned na hindi kailangan ng grandious events or extreme activities to do that. Just live in the moment and bask in what life has to offer before they disappear . . . Sa lahat ng nangyari, I learned to treasure the simplest things in life. Yung magising sa umaga, makatayo mag-isa, makasabay kumain mga mahal ko sa buhay, kayo."

"Kontento ka na ba, love?" He remembers asking her.

"Natuto akong pahalagahan yung binigay na sakin ni Lord. Kontento na ako sa mga nagawa ko at nakita ko and I want to just live the days He's giving me, but I'd be lying if I said wala na akong hinihiling pa."

RJ brought his palms to his face while his elbows rested on his knees. That specific conversation with Maine when they went stargazing has been replaying in his mind over and over, and he couldn't stop thinking about it.

"Anak," he heard her father's voice from behind him.

Teddy stood beside him and held his hand out to RJ. On it was their engagement ring.

RJ tightened his jaws as tears began to fill his eyes once more. He took it from Teddy's hand and balled his hand into a fist, the ring tightly kept in his hand.

"Inabot sakin ng isa sa mga nurse yan," Teddy said softly. "Tama lang na ikaw ang maghawak."

"Salamat po."

Teddy lovingly placed his hand on the young man's shoulder and gave it a squeeze. One simple and quick gesture, loaded with so many words and emotions.

"Love," he said quietly, his voice shaking as tears kept running down his face.

"Love, kontento ka na ba kahit hindi pa natutupad yung hiling mong magkapamilya tayo?"

Saying it out loud just brought more tears down his face, his heart breaking into a million pieces while he clutched the ring in his hand. He held his balled fist against his lips, trying so hard to to speak clearly.

"Love, kontento ka na ba kaya handa ka ng umalis?"

Beside him, Maine's father had his arm over his shoulder while he looked away, wiping his tears.

"Sumagot ka naman love oh. Please, sumagot ka naman oh. Kausapin mo naman ako, please."

It has been three days since that day and Maine has been in the ICU since then. In every single day that passes by while she is on the ventilator felt like a sledgehammer was pounding and crushing their hearts.

"RJ . . . "

"Tito, sorry po ha," RJ said, looking up at Teddy while tears rushed down his cheeks like a river. "Sorry po, tito."

"Anak, wag. Wag."

"Kaya po siguro nagkasakit ng ganito si Maine kasi lagi ko po siya pinapasyal. Kung ano ano na po siguro nalalanghap niya. Sorry po, tito, sorry po talaga."