Chapter 55

Nat

"Wouldn't you like to know why you're here first?", Santa wannabe demanded. Please, Mr. Fake Gandalf, I had figured that one out when I heard you talk to the flight attendant earlier. Even though right now you were trying to disguise it.

"I'm here because of him", I used my chin to indicate Darcy, who was still passed out. "I noticed your accent. British, right? That guy's the only Brit I know. Aside from my kidnapper, of course. So, back to my original question: who are you?"

That was the only question that mattered. I wanted his answer, even if it were just a lie. Even lies contained precious information. "Let's say I run an institution."

Pfff... Arrogant ash. "Great, 'cause that really clarifies things..." I had had the worst twenty-four hours ever, so please don't judge me for being slightly bitchy. Especially because I had barely begun. "What exactly is this institution you run?"

"Miss Estevez Brown–"

"The MI-6?"

"May I call you Nathali–"

"Or is it more like Boko Haram? Maybe I should be really scared." I was totally not, maybe still an effect from the meds they'd given me, so I really hoped he wasn't a professional killer or a terrorist, because right now he was staring at me with a killer look in his eyes.

"Nathalie", he used my first name, regardless of my lack of authorization. Darcy would never do that! "We need to talk about–"

"I know! Is it Hogwarts?"

That made the young flight attendant, who had just come in to bring us beverages, giggle a little. Thanks a lot, hon. We girls should stick together in times as such! The Brit version of President Snow wasn't having much fun, though. I, on the other hand, was enjoying myself a lot!

Maybe the next twenty-four hours wouldn't be so terrible.

He fidgeted uncomfortably in his large leather seat, took a sip from his porcelain cup of tea (who brought porcelain to a plane, for the love of Harry Potter?), and crossed his legs. Uh, I was feeling so threatened right now. Not.

"You know, Nathalie, how high we are in the sky?" Pfff again. I'd tell him about heights. He kept speaking before I had a chance to. "Do you know what happens to a human body when it falls from such a height?

What. The. Flock?! Was he planning on turning me into Nat soup? Because that's pretty much what would be left of me if he threw me from the plane.

Okay, maybe I was scared now.

"It is nasty", he continued. Now I wished Darcy was up so he could be the center of the spectacle of threats. "However, it is not my priority to discuss such matters with you." Thank the Lord for that one. "You have been mistaken about the reason you are on this plane, that I can assure you."

What? "Why are we here, then?" If this wasn't about the nineteenth century liar, what was this all about?

"We are here because of your brother. He was the one who sent me."

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor