Chapter 87

TWENTY NINE HOURS IN LONDON

STILL IN A SECRET LOCATION

He had looked back once. That was all Nathalie had earned as she had seen Darcy cross the portal. It had happened over twelve hours ago, but she was still crying. She could feel the scientists – Ethan's team – looking at her sideways, feeling terrible for her; at least, they'd left her alone.

The Professor had shown consideration as well; he wouldn't speak to her, or ask her if she was okay. That would have made her punch him. No, he'd just bring her something to drink when her throat was dry, or something for her to eat, even though she felt sick to her stomach. But she'd eaten the tuna sandwich he'd brought anyway.

"What's your name? Your real name?", she blurted out when the Professor put a cup of hot chocolate in her freezing hands. She wasn't cold; her body was simply too sad and tired to warm itself up.

He gave her a half smile, "I am–"

"Nat?!" Someone called behind them. Someone Nathalie had known forever. "NATHALIE!"

Fanny held her best friend so tight Nat almost spilled hot chocolate all over her. The Professor took the cup from her to avoid accidents.

"You bitch!" Fanny was in tears. "I was scared to death!"

"I'm here." Nat was so distressed she couldn't even bring herself to smile at Fanny. Her friend, as usual, immediately noticed something very serious was going on.

Nat found out, at that moment, she needed someone – not just someone; her best friend – to talk to. To tell about her feelings, about what had happened between her and Darcy, about the truth of Darcy's identity and when her brother had gone to. Fanny hadn't asked anything. Not even once. She just listened and listened. Never judging, never accusing. That was why Nat knew she could always count on Fanny. "So now, I'm just waiting for Ethan to return, and it's making me nuts, Fanny", Nat finished.

"It's making you nuts because a part of you wished Darcy'd return, Nat." Yes, Fanny knew her very well. And that desire was making her feel terrible. She should be eager to see her brother again; and she was! Ethan belonged when she was, while Darcy belonged in the nineteenth century!

Still, she really wanted to see him once more. Their farewell had been too quick, too painful. He had kissed her once, passionately. The Professor had left them in an empty room that looked like a depot, informing them they had five minutes.

"I love you, Nat", he had told her. "I love you now, and I'll love you two hundred years ago."

He had then left her. The Professor had insisted he read a letter from Ethan alone. After that, he had barely spared her a glance before crossing the portal.

Everything in that room had gone quiet ever since. Even the talkative Trevor seemed to be too distant to notice his surroundings.

"I want him back, Fanny", she admitted. "How horrible am I? To wish for him to return and not my own brother?"

Fanny was about to say something to comfort her, when Trevor interrupted their conversation, "Someone is coming back through!"

She saw him before he saw her. Nat went on her knees and cried. She cried for a long time. She cried while he held her in his arms, telling her all was right now. She loved the man that was holding her dearly; still, she couldn't stop crying for the man she also loved, the one who was now in 1813, and would never return to her. How could someone be so happy and defeated at the same time?

After many minutes, Nat glanced up at the portal. It showed nothing but the other side of the room now. It was over, then.

He was forever lost to her.

Thanks for reading!

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote! ;-)

Instagram: laisrodriguesauthor