Twelve

Previously;
While they were driving, Iain couldn't avoid the car that came crashing into the side of them...
Now;

Iain came around and groaned. He saw Mia struggling to breathe. He couldn't believe what had happened.  He turned to look back at Poppy. She was bleeding. "It's alright darling. Daddy's here," he said.

"Dada."

Iain felt his heart break. There wasn't anything he could do.  His little girl was in pain. He was trapped. "Daddy's here darling. I promise," he said.

***
A passerby saw the accident and dialled 999. She ran over and opened the door. "I've called an ambulance. They're coming."

"My name is Iain. I'm a paramedic myself. Just check on my little girl," he said.

***
The ambulance arrived. Jez ran over. "Bloody hell Grandad. Can't you control your road rage?" He said.

"Shut it. Get Mia and Poppy out. Poppy has a laceration on her head and Mia can't breathe," Iain explained.

Jez nodded. He climbed in the back next to Poppy. "Hello cutie. Uncle Jez is here. Let's get you out of here," he said.

"Dada."

"Daddy's here darling. Don't worry," Iain said. He knew how scared Poppy got.

***
The fire crew arrived to get Mia out as she was trapped. Her breathing had gotten worse. Iain wasn't trapped so he stayed with Mia. "W-Where's Poppy?" She asked.

"She's gone to the ED babe. She'll be okay.  Olivia will be looking after her," Iain said.

***
Olivia was standing by the door. She saw the first ambulance arrive. Connie came out. "Let's go."

Jez walked in. "This is Poppy-Olivia Dean, thirteen months old. Been involved in an RTC. Head laceration and cuts and bruises. Lost consciousness on route," Jez said as he began listing off the treatment Poppy was given.

Connie nodded. "HDC."

***
Mia had been freed from the car. Iain held her hand the whole way. "T-The baby," she sobbed.

"Shh, he'll be okay baby. I promise," Iain said.

Mia was in hysterics. Iain kissed her. "Both our babies will be fine. I promise," he said.

***
They got to the ED. Charlie, Dylan and Elle were waiting for them. "Iain, you need looking at too," Charlie said.

Iain shook his head. "No, my family need me," he said

Charlie sighed. "You won't be any good to them if there's an underlying injury and we don't treat you."

***
Poppy had started fitting but thankfully Connie had helped her. Olivia sat stroking her hair. "It's going to be okay princess. Mummy and daddy will be here soon," she said.

Connie looked up as Iain walked in. "She started fitting but we've stabilised her.  We've cleaned her wound and assessed her for other injuries. She's going to be okay."

***
Mia had broken her ribs and had some damage to her lungs. The baby had thankfully survived. Iain kissed her. "I knew everything would be fine," he said.

Mia nodded. "Where's Poppy?" She asked.

Iain smiled. "Connie will bring her in soon."

Mia cuddled into Iain. She was thankful that they had all survived. But she had no idea how close to death Poppy had come.