Chapter 3

Melanie was waiting for me by my car, my clothes hanging from her arms. "The meeting is starting in half an hour." She rushed out, her face tight with panic.

She pulled my truck door open and I threw myself in. She tossed my clothes-a dress and bra-on top of me. I was still in my track uniform and it was plastered to me with sweat. Attractive, I know. I practically have to fight the guys off.

"Have you heard anything about the new alpha?" I called, trying to discreetly change. The track meet was still letting out and the parking lot was fairly busy. Any number of people could be catching a flash of something I didn't want them to see.

"Apparently he's an asshole."

"He just murdered our own alpha. He has to be an asshole."

Melanie scoffed from outside the door. "It wasn't murder, Alice. It was a challenge, which he lost. Besides, we've merged packs with his now. We've never been stronger."

I rolled my eyes. She's never been stronger. My dad, mother, and brother have never been stronger. Because they were all wolves. I, on the other hand, was neither completely human nor completely wolf. I was stuck in that murky in-between, belonging to neither race.

I threw the truck door back open, still sweating. It was warm out, and I'd just run four sprints. My muscles were quivering.

"Oh, sweetheart." Melanie smiled, coming behind me to un-tuck the dress bunched in my underwear. A group of guy's cat called then burst out laughing as they passed. Melanie and I flipped them off together.

"Get in, get in, get in." I rushed, shoving her into the truck.

"Oh, you're dad called thirty seven times." She said, as though she were just remembering. I stumbled as I was coming around the front of the truck, just catching myself on the hot metal.

"Are you serious?" I whispered, eyes wide. "Oh my god, he's going to kill me."

She tossed my phone and I caught it, quickly scanning through all the missed calls. Quickly, I called dad. He answered halfway through the first ring, his voice already hoarse as though he's been yelling for hours. "What the hell!" he roared.

I winced and started the car, burning rubber as I scattered the pedestrians casually walking to their cars. "I'm almost there, dad, I told you I was getting my hair done for the meeting."

"We're here now!" he snapped. "We're here waiting for our daughter. Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is telling these men that our human child is too inept to handle her own schedule? Get here! NOW!"

He hung up and I threw my phone on the floor of the truck.

"My dad didn't call me once." Melanie laughed from next to me. My blood was boiling but when I looked over to her, and her small smile, I burst out laughing. I don't know why, she wasn't even that funny.

"Maybe the new alpha will banish us from the pack. We can go live in Vegas together. Strip our way through college." Melanie said, absently fiddling with her finger nails.

"Not before the end of the track season. Did you hear there were scouts there today? And I won three of my sprints. Damn it Melanie, I can feel the scholarships just rolling on in. Oh, hey, can you do my hair real quick? Just make it so it doesn't look as sweaty."

"And frizzy? And disgusting? I'm not a magician. But I'm as close to magic as you're going to get." She crouched in the seat behind me and eased my blonde hair out of its tight ponytail. I was going about thirty over the speed limit, my eyes frantic for any cops.