Chapter17

I could see the tripled security forces lining the trees and the land outside the big bay windows while I washed the dishes.  Clayton was working the charm on my parents in the driveway as they left, and I was recovering from the trauma of the suffocating silence we’d eaten in.  What a terrible, terrible idea from my mate.

I was seeing Thomas later with my parents, which was exciting.  I was going to be escorted by about seven wolves to the hospital because Clayton couldn’t leave, not with his entire pack worrying about the rogue invasions and the absence of their Alpha while he tended to me.  I knew it pained him greatly to leave, but it was to his best fighters and he was an Alpha, after all.  He had responsibilities.

He came into the kitchen, giving me a tired grin as he grabbed the cleaned dishes and started drying them.  “You’re right, that was a terrible idea.” He laughed.

I grinned widely.  “I told you so.  You thought you were all good boyfriend material and whatnot by inviting them over.  Serves you right.”

He grimaces and moves to the cabinets to put the plates away. I pulled the stopper on the sink and washed the soap from my fingers.  When he came behind me he rested a hand on my back while reaching for the dried cups.  I didn’t realize he was leaning in until his breath was against my ears.  “You’re not flinching.” He noted quietly.

Flinching?  Why would I flinch from his touch?  It was only when his thumb moved across the raised edges of my scar that I tensed, waiting for some onslaught of pain to hit the old wound.  Surprisingly, astonishingly, it never came.  I turned around quickly and grabbed onto his shirt, pulling him down so I could kiss him.  He was shocked at first, but adapted quickly.

“Thank you.” I breathed against his lips.  “Thank you.”

He broke away from me, a new glimmer in his eyes.  “We can fix anything, babe.  We’re mates.”

I smiled and pressed my cheek against his chest, completely content.  “When are you going to the pack house?”

“I’m addressing everyone in an hour.  The guards are picking you in about twenty minutes so I can see you off.  Are you sure you want to go?  The pack needs to meet their Luna.”

“They can meet me tomorrow, Clayton.  Thomas is getting let out then.  I’m sorry that it upsets you, but this is my brother we’re talking about.” He sighed, but nodded his consent.  “You can announce me, if you want.”

He pulled back, meeting my eyes.  “Really?”

I shrugged.  “I mean, you might as well.  I’m not going anywhere.”

His smile was breathtaking and he kissed my quickly.  “It’ll certainly calm them enough for me to handle this rogue situation safely.”

“As soon as it’s resolved, the better.  Any word yet on the doctor?” the last part I asked cautiously.  I’m not sure how I could feel, how I would feel, if I learned the rogues had killed the doctor because of me.

Clayton shook his head, knowing that keeping any information from me would upset me.  “Nothing yet.  We’re thinking they’re keeping him alive for—“ He swallowed, but continued.  “For if they get you.  He’s a doctor, he can watch over you.” 

I grimaced at the thought but squashed my emotions as best as I could.  I wasn’t sure how’d they fight back the rogues, and also save the doctor.  “I’m going to get changed.” I said. 

He grabbed my wrist as I passed him and I met his eyes carefully.  “We’ll fix this.” He promised.

I nodded, knowing he’d do everything in his power to keep that promise.  I gave him one more kiss before heading upstairs to change.