Part 15

My brother was alive, although if I took my hand from his chest, where it rose and fell shallowly, I wouldn't be able to tell.

I was exhausted, and the bags under my eyes were heavy and aching. But his face was still so pale and I didn't want to go until his eyes opened and I could hear his voice again. "Alice, baby, you need to sleep." Clayton's voice drifted in from the doorway.

My hands fisted on Thomas's chest and I shook my head. "No. You can go, but I want to stay."

I heard his footsteps and felt him beside my body before he actually touched me. Large hands touched my shoulders lightly. "You've been awake for forty seven hours, Alice. You need to rest."

I brushed his hands from my shoulders with a jerk. "I said no, Clayton. I'm not leaving him."

My parents were in the cafeteria, getting breakfast. Mom slept in the room, ad although it'd been the first time I had seen her since Clayton took me to his house, we found little to say to each other. Dad stayed when he could, but he couldn't get out of his work, no matter how he tried. He was with mom now, with the short time he had before he needed to leave, to try and calm her as Clayton was trying with me.

"He's safe." Clayton assured me. His voice was painfully soft and I found myself flinching like he'd hurt me somehow. "Nothing will happen to him."

"He came to your house for a reason." I said. My eyes slid over his face, landing on the white bandages peeking from beneath his robe. "He found me, and hurt and bleeding and-and dying, and I want him to see me when he wakes up so he knows it wasn't for nothing."

Clayton's arms wrapped around my middle and it was only a moment before I slid my hand from my brothers moving chest to wrap around Clayton's torso. I muffled my face in his shirt, finding my exhaustion was inhibiting any tears but the pain was immense nonetheless.

One hand stroked my hair, soothing me endlessly as our bond pulled me into a state of comfort. "Come home, Alice." He begged.

I paused a moment before nodding. The doctor said he was in a medically induced coma, that his bodily functions needed to be slowed in order for him to heal. If he were human, he'd be dead. His intestines and most major organs had been pierced from the attack inflicted on him, and he'd been in surgery for hours. That fact alone was incredibly rare for werewolves. Usually a simple stitching job was all it took before the natural healing process occurred for werewolves.

He'd be out for four days before they eased the drugs and woke him up, the doctor had said. Stupidly, I'd sat here for two days waiting for him to defy the millions of drugs coursing through him and open his eyes for me.

Clayton helped me stand and I kissed Thomas lightly on the forehead before I left, slipping my hand in Claytons. I found my parents in the cafeteria, and gave them a quick goodbye. I desperately wished it was different circumstances, and I could sit down and just catch up with them.

I stared out the window of Clayton's car while we drove and I hadn't even noticed we'd gotten home before he was pulling my door open and easing me out. I wrapped my legs around his waist as he grabbed my hips, lifting me with one hand while the other splayed a hand over my upper back. I ducked my face into his neck, breathing deeply.

I was nearly passed out when Clayton laid me down gently. I felt him pull my shoes off, and mumbled only a small protest as he pulled my jeans off and moved into bed beside me. Warm arms pulled me into his chest, and I was so exhausted I didn't dream at all.

..........

I woke up languidly, easing into consciousness. The patio doors had been opened by the balcony and a warm breeze was drifting in carrying sunlight. I blinked my eyes and stared at the clock on his bedside table. It was twelve in the afternoon. I frowned. I'd only slept a few hours?