Chapter Nine.

© All rights reserved. LittleThingsInLife

The squeak of my sneakers caught their attention and they immediately stopped to inspect me.

I moved at a quicker pace in a somewhat delirious hope that I would be able to get to the end of the corridor and away from them before they spoke up...

"Hey, you must be new" one started "I'd remember seeing your face around." I closed my eyes and muttered a curse under my breath.

Halting myself, I slowly turned my body half way towards them, giving them some of my attention but also making sure I was still able to walk onwards if needed.

I took a quick moment to sweep a gaze over them; I concluded that they were all probably on some form of sports team, football or rugby, due to their sizing, I also noted that they were all different levels of attractive.

The best looking of the group was the one who had spoken up first; probably the leader, he had black as night hair in an almost army regulated close shave. It made his jawline seem even sharper. He had dark eyes that made me uncomfortable, and his overwhelming height and stature made me want to fall on the floor and slope away undetected.

Nobody said anything for a few moments. The leader scrunched his face up a little at being ignored.

"I said you must be new. Am I correct, or have you just be evading me your whole school life?" He snipped.

I did a short and awkward nod, something he wasn't impressed with.

"Are you nodding that you're new, or that you've been able to hide from me?" He could clearly see I was uneasy and I noticed he took slight pleasure in it. Yep, definitely not someone I want to spend any time with.

"I.. I'm n-new." I finally stumbled out. I involuntarily grabbed a hold of the zipper on my jacket for mild comfort.

"Ah she speaks" He jibes and his friends chuckle behind him.

"Think you can tell me your name?" He asks slowly, and very patronisingly. A small burst of anger shoots through me but I contain it. I'm good at blocking my emotions by now.

"Alex."

He steps a little closer to me and I ease back in response. Its not unnoticed, thankfully he stops moving and just tilts his head, glancing at me up and down.

"Well Alex, my names Martin but you can call me Marty, and it's an absolute pleasure to meet you. I do hope we see a lot more of each other." He smiles at me. It's supposed to be genuine and comforting... it's not.

"Okay." I answer and turn to walk away. I get to three steps when I light grip is placed on my shoulder. I'm slowly turned around.

"Well you're a bit rude aren't you Alex" Martin smirks. "Why don't you hang with us and get to know us better. What's the rush?"

"I'm m-meeting peo-people...for, for lu-lunch."

"That's adorable. Am I making you nervous?" He's still got his hand on my shoulder and gives it a gentle squeeze, I twitch under his grip. Please just let go of me I silently pray.

Instead of letting go, he sweeps his hand until his whole arm is swung over my shoulder and tries to steer me towards the lockers his friends are leaning on, watching us with gleeful interest.

They shuffle around so my back is against the locker door and I'm surrounded by them. Martins arm is still wrapped around my shoulder and he starts to twiddle a piece of lose hair near the nape of my neck.