●Chapter Eight●

Here's your phone.' Tanaka said stretching his arm over his desk.

I had spent two extra nights at his place. Still I had not talked to anyone other than Tanaka (hardly), his mother (mostly) and his maid greeted me every now and again. I hadn't stopped thinking about the fact that Tanaka's family had not said a word about his girlfriend. I wondered how if she was stopping over for a bed date, she'd probably be a long term and known individual. I wanted it to be that. I had never been introduced to such relationships however that did not stop me from yearning for them.

I received my phone carelessly, as if I was doing fine without it. As if. It was the only luxury I owned. I often thought about why Jacobs hadn't brought me in. Why he had not said anything to me. It wasn't like him to just give away his people like that, especially to someone like this guy, who we had never heard of.
I began;

'So where's your girlfriend?'

'My what?' he said back a little lost. 'Oh Samantha? She's not my girlfriend.'

'Yet you slept with her?'

'So?' The answer came rudely but I understood the explanation that was supposed to come afterward. It was a world I knew all too well on the account of the fact that I often had to have sex with some of my missions to gain their trust or simply to find an opportunity to strike. It was slowly becoming clear to me the type of person Mr Tanaka was. I was not sure how I felt about it but when the left side of his lips jerked up into a smirk, I felt... weird. I just was not about to think about it that way.

'Get dressed you're coming with me today.' the statement came to me as a shock on the account of the fact that in my mind I was already dressed and ready to go anywhere the wind blew. I chose to stay completely fixed on the rug I had chosen to sit on in front of the couch in Tanaka's office. He raised his eyebrow and the smirk disappeared. 'Did you not hear me Ms Blade; I did give you an instruction did I not?'

His tone of voice tried to intimidate me a little. I was not sure if this meant I had to address him as Mr Tanaka from now on. I didn't mind that I hardly had to address him anyhow. I decided to question his authority. Mainly because I didn't believe that he had considered the fact that I did not have different styles of clothing in my very small back pack which I arrived with; 'What do you want me to wear?'

He did not reply. Instead he walked over to the door and walked out leaving the door wide open.

'Mother...' He called out as if she had called him first and he was waiting to be given further instruction.

'Gray...' His mother said with a lovely smile. I had now learned that she like to be addressed as Susan except by her children, whom most of were deceased except dearest Gray and a sister that ran away from home.

'Can Ms Blade here borrow your old closet for a bit?'

His mother invited us both in and my phone made a beep noise that indicated my battery was dying. I checked it and saw that I had had about 30 missed calls, 25 of which were from Shaun, two from Jacobs and one from Daniel. I had text messages too. I read Jacobs' first.

DONE?

I was about to press reply when the phone rang and I realised Jacobs was calling me.

'Hello...' I said hesitantly. Jacobs never called.

'It doesn't matter what he's said to you, he is... I know you haven't finished I will call you and let you know when it's time.'

'What?' I replied so very, very confused.

'Tanaka Gray, 24, Male, Master Assassin, enemy to Anthony. He hates us all and is after you especially.'

'Why?' I asked innocently as if I didn't know people wanted me dead.

'I killed his father and took his sister. Do your job Amanda.' He said, and then hung up.

I put the phone down into my pocket and turned around to walk out of Mrs Tanaka's bedroom. I was feeling a sudden wave of guilt I hadn't felt with any of victims before. I didn't know why it was valid for Tanaka to die. I felt a lot of affection towards his mother, not so much him. She would be heartbroken. The way she said Gray like is came out of the pits of her soul and took a lot of energy to get out.

That night in the car, I sat and thought of all the families I had broken. Fight's I may have started to get one hated and never forgiven. The mothers and fathers, sister and brothers I had made cry. Were they all worth it? It was fear! They put fear in my perfect world. Fear had to die! Right? I was not sure if I knew what I had been doing anymore... what I was doing?