●Chapter Fourteen●

When Jacobs brought me in the night I hung out with Shaun my biggest fear was both our secrets being revealed. I liked what we had going on. He offered an escape, unreal yes but it was an escape none the less. I often wondered when Shaun joined the team but I never asked. It would ruined way too many things. There was no hope in trying to get his file either because the fact that I had spent so long not knowing for sure meant that it was going to be hard to find.

Not knowing so many things made me mad. I loved being my own person, it was the only reason I did this job. It gave me the opportunity to be in charge of a life. I held the buttons for a short while. Life and death were my cards. I hadn’t realised for a long time that I was simply a pawn. Not even the most important one at that. Just one of them if not the least ranked. This had to change. People had to know what I was capable of. I was going to show Jacobs that of the ten assassins he had on speed dial. I was the most important, most skilled one. I had taken more lives than any of them. Everyone, all of them knew that much. They may not have been important people like the ones they took out  but they were people none the less.

Jacobs didn’t know that I let Brad live that night. When I offered to ‘take care of it’ I wanted to help him run. He was the youngest, he hadn’t done anything wrong. He didn’t even care, why would he have to die for it? Talking to Bradley may have been a mistake but I chose him because he was easy and he would trust me quickly. I hadn't counted on me getting attached to him.

When I approached the boys, Brad saw me coming. He smiled and then his brother turned towards my direction. I kicked the brother first. Then hit Brad in the head as hard as I could. He fell and I took care of the others.
When checking for his pulse, I planned to slip a pill into his mouth. It would dissolve right away and would wake him up in five minutes after I had left.  And so I did as I had planned.

                                                                           ***

‘Amanda...Amanda...Amanda.’ He had his arm around my neck with a rifle at my temples. I had said nothing ever since he arrived and Susan had decided that locking us in a room together so that we can ‘solve our issues’ was the best thing she could do to ‘help’.

‘Answer me Amanda. I know why you’re here. I saw what you did with Jacobs’ senior and how you got that guy at that club to commit suicide. I personally think you didn’t do that in such short time all on your own but your dearest Shaun swore it was you. No one knows you better than your brother huh. ’

The name Shaun and the word Brother did hurt me but I still didn’t say a word. A realisation swept through my mind when I realised one thing, Gray Tanaka was afraid. He had no idea what I was capable of doing.  He had no idea, who I knew or what I knew. He didn’t know what I was planning to do to him or the fact that I didn’t know what I was planning. To him I was a very dangerous girl.
I twisted around until I bit hard on his bicep and he let go. Blood started to drip out of the holes I had made and I wiped the stains it left on my teeth. I sat down and stared at the ceiling. My head was spinning. Is this was it felt like to lose your mind?

Tanaka left the room and banged the door on his way out. A few seconds later I was laying flat on the floor feeling sick to my stomach. It was a feeling I felt only when Tanaka walked out of the room. I didn't know what it was but I wanted it gone. I pulled out my phone from my pocket and switch it on.  It immediately went haywire with all the messages that came through. Most of them from Shaun, some from Jacobs, the rest I didn’t bother to look through. I went to my contact list. Alexia...I was looking for Alexia... I selected message and began typing:  ‘i24795n33d^0u’

Moments later the phone rang.
‘What business do you have with Gray Tanaka?’ The young girl said.
‘I’ve missed you.’ I replied.

‘Okay.’ She hung up just as Tanaka returned. He looked infuriated and terrified. He put on his best face and leaned over to help me up. I took it, then plunged my six inch knife into the middle of his shoulder and collarbone. His face dropped and he screamed silently and I pulled his face towards me. I touched his lips and felt a piercing sting in my own chest. Another tear fell from my eyes. I let him fall to the ground and watched him realise what just happened.
‘Why would you do that?’ he hissed at me trying to get up. I knelt down to him.

‘Insurance.’ I replied.