Chapter 10

The sky was darkening, as the stars sparkled, trying their best to overcome the great mass of black. Eugene had taken me hiking. We were standing at my doorstep at the moment.

"Phew, what a day. Seriously, the hiking and stuff was rather intense," I said .

"But worth the view, wasn't it?", he said, his eyes sparkling with delight.

"Yep, the light of the sunset was like the sputtering flames from an ashen evening fire. I have never seen anything more beautiful in my life."

"I have."

"What?"

"Your look of triumph, a smile gracing your sweat drenched, glistening face, when we reached the top of the cliff."

"Eugene..." 

"Beep"

Not so glad at the interruption, I quickly took out my phone to look at who had sent me a message at such a wrong moment.

Nate <3 : Hey sweety, I am so sorry i cannot come to school tomorrow . I have got high fever.

Me: Okay, get well soon. I will drop in tomorrow after school.

Peeking into my phone, Eugene said, "So I can hangout with my best friend tomorrow?"

Smiling, I said,"Yeah sure. "

Grinning when he realised that I didn't say that I wasn't his best friend anymore, he hugged me tightly, and I hugged him back. We stayed like that for about five minutes. I hadn't  hugged Nathaniel for this long, but with Eugene, it felt natural.

After a while, he pulled back, saying, "Tomorrow's a Monday Izz. You need to get sleep."

"Uh-huh. Goodnight."

I blew him a kiss when he got onto his bike, just like old times, and he chuckled.

"I am picking you up tomorrow, and I will bring a car."

"But why not my baby boo?" I said, pouting.

"I feel you love it more than me."

"You dare accuse me like that?" I said, with mock hurt, then we both burst out laughing. Then he rode away into the night.