13

Chapter 13
New meat
Ryan Ross

Ryan sat patiently in the cushioned chair with his backpack sitting on his lap. It was his first day at a new school and he was beyond nervous. Considering he's move around his whole life, he thought he would be passed the anxiety already.

He glanced over to see a girl staring at him with narrowed eyes. He blushed deeply and waved shyly. She only rolled her eyes, Turing her head and looking down at her manicured nails. Ryan sighed and looked down at his bag.

Ryan was small enough for his age, but he also looked really young too. It was kind of hard to believe he was fifteen years old. When people look at him, they usually guess he would be thirteen.

Wrong.

Ryan hated moving. He knew in a year or two, he would be moving again. Ryan always tried not to get attached to anyone from school, because it always ended bad if he did. He always had to leave his friends

. Ryan never got that feeling of growing up with a best friend. He never got to grow up having a favorite place to go to everyday. It didn't help that he barely got to see his dad. That was the reason he was always moving.

His dad was in the military. They would move, his dad would stay home for a bit, then he would be shipped off to some war. His father would return, and they would move again. It was a routine. Ryan just hoped this would be his last time moving.

He sighed and glanced up at the door when it opened. A girl with blonde hair and vivid blue eyes walked in with a stack of papers. She smiled brightly at the front desk lady. Handing the papers over. She glanced back at Ryan and he blushed for being caught staring. "Sorry," he muttered.

She shook her head, "no biggie. I'm guessing it's your first day?"

Ryan glanced back at her and nodded. "Ya. I moved here from Maine."

The blonde girl gasped, "that's so cool! I visited my grandma in Maine before, it's gorgeous up there."

Ryan's smile grew, "I like autumn there because of all the colors."

The girl nodded, "I bet, you don't get to see that here. Anyway, what's your name?"

Ryan held out his hand shyly, "Ryan."

The girl gladly shook his hand, "I like that, it fits you. I'm Jenna. What grade are you in, Ryan?"

"I'm a freshman."

Jenna nodded her head slowly, "oh, so we probably won't have any classes together. You might with my friend, Pete. What lunch do you have?"

Ryan pulled his schedule out of his bag, "uh, A lunch."

Jenna grinned, "great! So do I and my friends. If you want, we have an open seat."

Ryan smiled widely, "really? Thanks, it's not usually this easy making friends every time I move."

Jenna nodded her head and the bell rang. Ryan stood up and the two began walking down the hall. "Do you move a lot?"

Ryan nodded, looking up to the taller girl, "ya. My dad is in the military, so moving is a necessity."

Jenna snorted, "I couldn't do that. I couldn't ever imagine leaving my friends."