twenty eight :: things gone wrong

     I was having the most amazing dream ever. And it involved unicorns with colourful horns. And not to mention Henry's amazing well sculpted chest. 

   Until something loud woke me up. 

   I slowly peeled my eyelids open and I turned my head around to see my phone blaring wildly. I groaned and reached out to grab it. Just before I answered, I sent a quick look on my clock to see that it was five o' clock in the morning. I wondered who could be awake at a time like this. I clicked the answer button and put it to my ear. 

   "Hello?" I asked, my voice came out groggy.

   "Leona?" A familiar voice came from the other side. 

   I blinked. Twice more. I did not hear his voice. I must have imagined it. 

  "Leona? I know you're there, please listen to me" Dane's voice pleaded. 

  What did he want now? I hadn't heard much from Dane since the incident. I was about to hang-up when his voice came to the surface again. "Leona, I know you're there. Please help me, I won't stop calling you if you didn't come and see me"

   I frowned. What game was he playing at now?

  "Dane, I don't what you're trying to do but it's not working. If you need help you cam just go on ahead and call somebody" I said, not hiding the acid tone laced in my voice.

  "Please, Leona. I'm begging you! I need some Medical attention urgently" 

  That sent an alarm through me. No, I shouldn't listen to him. He cheated on me. Manipulated me into thinking it was me who had a problem. I wasn't going to listen to any more of his lies. I had enough. But then thinking those words over, his pleaded voice blended into the background. What if he needed some real Medical attention? What if he was dying or bleeding somewhere and couldn't get help apart from me?

   What if?

  I shook my head. No more what if's and certainly no more believing in my ex's pleading. 

  "Dane, if you need help go call someone else. Stop bothering me. Goodnight" I hung-up and lied back down in my bed again. Sleep was the last thing in my mind, but there is a part of me that was still tired considering that I was recovering from my common cold. 

   I must have slept a few hours later when my phone rang again. I reached blindly towards my bedside drawer and tapped my phone. "Hello?"

  It was Dane again. I sighed. 

  "What do you want?" I snapped, feeling irritated for the lack of sleep I was getting. 

  There was a sob at the other end of the line. "Please, Leona. Help me. It hurts. I t-tried to ring somebody - anybody in my contact list but they weren't picking up. You're my only hope please, come and see me. Everything in me hurts!"

   My conscience won and I took a deep breath. This was the last time I was going to help him. 

  "Where are you?"

  He gave me the address and I was out the door. 

-

   By the time I got to the place Dane told me, I immediately shot out of the taxi and was running towards Dane. The first that I noticed was that he had his head low and there were droplet of blood on the pavement. Heart pounding, I ran the short distance between us and crouched down beside him.