thirty :: Je t'aime

thirty :: Je t'aime

   I stared at the two birds outside my window. Their wings flapped and flapped and soon they disappeared behind the clouds. It had been four months since I'd last seen my parents; it was bizarre having to live with myself in one of the collage hostel a few metres away from the university I go to, Otago University is one of the finest university in the country, and my parents immediately agreed once I've told them that I wanted to go. 

    So many things had happened during this year. But I guessed it was all part of growing up and finding yourself. During my graduation; Danika's parents got all teared up and her mum kept on murmuring "my baby's going away. We won't see her anymore after this" my best friend were quick enough to reassure her distressed mother and told her that she would visit every holiday breaks we get. Danika, Holton and I decided to apply for Otago University together, neither one of us were ready to let go of five years of friendship and didn't want to let go. I guessed it kind of made sense in a way; it would feel weird and scary just to imagine my friends without my life. I had become accustomed to seeing their face everyday, even if it meant that those days were filled with kisses and "get-a-room" kind of state. But that was just one thing altogether, although it was still weird seeing different people everyday but I guessed I will survive like what my maths teacher always say. 

    And as for Cawke? He had actually managed to ease off on our chemistry class and luckily enough none of my class dropped their eggs so we were all safe. No one would suffer repeating the same year. At the thought of the eggs, a sudden heart pain of missing Tom-the-egg gripped my heart, I never thought that I would say this but I missed him and his daddy. I shook the thought of Henry aside, and focused back on Cawke. He had congratulated me for deciding to go on the path of Medicine. I had always known that I would do something with science ever since I was little, I just didn't know that it would be Med. Having to take all three sciences were difficult and very time-consuming and you had to be on top of everything but I guessed it was just part of working hard and doing your best in order to get your dreams into a reality. 

     And then moving out came. My mother was sad and a little on the hysteric side when she found out that I was moving on the south. She didn't want me to at first but the south of this country was best known for its universities so that she didn't had a choice. 

    "Take care of yourself, I won't be around to do it sweetheart" she had once said while I packed. Tears welled within my eyes and I had to blink a few times before looking at her and giving her a lopsided smile. 

    I had never known my mother as the emotional type. 

    After I finished packing, I went downstairs and faced the rest of my family. My siblings faces were surprisingly down and neither of them didn't look at me. What was wrong with them? I was just moving out, I wasn't going to leave them forever. My parents got off the couch and gave me a hug, murmuring their "I'll miss you" and "call me when you get there", still my siblings neither nor moved or made a sound yet. Shrugging, I grabbed my stuff and were about to bolt for the door when I heard Chris's "wait!" I turned around and saw him smiling sadly at me.

   "I can't believe you're moving out," He said, sadly. 

   I gave him an awkward pat on the shoulder and I was greeted by one of his hugs. I laughed awkwardly and hugged him as tightly. I was going to miss him and the rest of my siblings; although I never thought about saying this but I was going to miss their protectiveness of me. They were such a conservative bunch, weren't they? 

  After I managed to untangle myself from all the mess, I went and gone in the south. That was how it came about and now I was here. Waiting for the first semester to start in less than two months. I glanced outside again, waiting to see if the birds decided to come back. They didn't.