Kabanata 14

So, I think, after 5 months...nakapag-update din! Sorry ngayon lang! And thank you! :)

**

Kabanata 14

Welcome

What is like to be in chaos and war all at once? It was when tito Douglas knew about Conrad's sentiments. I feel guilty. Until now. Simula ng malaman ni tito iyon, hindi pa rin nagpatawad ang pinsan 'ko. I came up with a decision to celebrate my 18th birthday abroad. For Conrad to realize the madness he's feeling. Lumayo ako at umalis kami ng pamilya 'ko papuntang Australia. Ilang araw lamang iyon dahil nag-aaral ako. I want to take my mind off of those things. Sana'y pagbalik 'kong Manila, ma-realize na ni Conrad ang nararamdaman na mali ito sa tulong ng Dad niya. We are cousins in law. And that's all I want him to be. For me.

A knock on the door woke me up with my thoughts.

"Happy Birthday, Mags," ani ng pamilyar na boses. It's my kuya!

My lips curved upward. Napatayo ako sa aking kama upang pagbuksan si kuya. Laking gulat 'ko na tumambay na rin ang mukha ng mga magulang 'ko. Mommy is holding a carrot cake. Father is holding orange balloons. So is, kuya Benjamin.

I squealed and rocked the heels of my feet.

"Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you! Happy Birthday to you!" They sang out. I laughed into smile. Napakagat ako ng labi habang nakangiting tumitingin sa pag-awit nila sa akin. I clasped my hands, casting my gaze to them and to the candle. I am eighteen now! Oh, my god! I can't believe I am in my legal age!

"For our darling daughter, Maggie, may you become the woman you aspire to be. I love you, sweetheart," Mom told me sweetly. Her chin quaked a little. And her eyes are glassing.

My eyes burned automatically. I chewed my bottom lip. "Oh, Mommy. I love you, too. I want to hug you tightly, Mom, but I need to blow the candles first?" I kiddingly uttered. Napatawa si Mommy.

"Can I have a moment, too?" Dad continued.

Napailing si kuya. Napatawa naman kami ni Mommy.

"Of course, Daddy. The floor is yours." I spread my arm, referring to what I said. I grinned widely. I can't believe my heart is going to explode with so much happiness. Looking at these people in front of me, I know how grateful I am to the life they are given to me. I want to thank Father God for giving me these beautiful people. I owe everything to You.

"Darling, my sweet daughter, thank you. And fair warning to all those boys," Dad warned, but a smile slipping on his lips. "I don't want any particular boy to make you cry. Like they don't know about me. Your Dad. Alright?" He pointed his chest.

A laugh bubbled through me.

"Ben!" saway ni Mommy, ngunit ngumingiti.

"It's okay, Mom! Tama naman po si Dad," ani 'ko, "and kuya?" My gaze drifted to my brother, "what's your message to me?" Ngumiti ako ng malaki. Kuya Benj looked at me. His lips lifted slowly as his head shook a little.

"Mags, happy birthday," three words from Benj, teasing me. He pocketed his hands and smiled gorgeously. Napanguso ako. Napatawa naman si kuya. "Hey, that's a message, right?" Makahulugan pa ang ngiti nito lalo akong napanguso. But deep inside, I know my brother is kidding. He'd probably write me a greeting card! I can't wait to read it!

"Kuya naman!" angal 'ko.

"Blow the candle, Mags. Happy 18 birthday!" Benj breathed, still nang-aasar.