Chapter 16

ELLA

"The Devil?" I asked, looking at Christian with my eyebrows scrunched together.

He nodded, not speaking.

His jaw was clenched and his eyes were just as dark as always.

In this moment, he seemed so tense.

I could see how he didn't like talking about this subject.

And I was not going to push it.

I don't want him to be mad at me again.

Of course, I wanted to know more, but I'll just wait until he is ready to talk to me about it with me.

As I was thinking, I noticed how Christian's eyes widened a little and he parted his lips slightly, his jaw not clenched anymore.

His eyes were locked on mine as if he was trying to read every single thought that was going around in my head at this very moment.

He looked like he was concentrating on something and then, in a matter of seconds, he looked both frustrated and bewildered.

"What the fuck...?" He mumbled under his breath and then looked me all over.

I had no clue what was going on or why he was acting like this all of a sudden.

Was it something I thought?

Was it something I did?

Why did he seem so upset all of a sudden?

I sucked in a deep breath, biting my lip nervously. Then, a little while later, spoke.

"Christian, what's wrong? Did I do something?"

Christian shook his head, looking deep into my eyes.

His dark brown eyes were confused and frustrated. He ran a hand through his hair and shook his head.

"That's impossible." He muttered, shaking his head.

I scrunched my eyebrows together in confusion.

Now I was really curious.

I wanted to know what all this was about.

Suddenly, Christian once again looked at me, stepping closer.

His lips parted as he examined me like I was some odd creature.

Like there was something wrong with me.

"Christian, seriously, what's this all about?" I asked, becoming a little frustrated by the way he was acting.

Christian chuckled humorlessly, looking at me, his eyes boring into mine yet again.

"I can't read your thoughts." He said, looking at me.

Somehow, he seemed amused by the situation, although, I could see how frustrated he was.

Somehow, the fact he couldn't read my thoughts frustrated him.

But it was strange.

I mean, he could always read my thoughts before, why not now?

What had happened?

Was there something in my head that kept him from reading my thoughts?

I don't have a clue.

"Wait--What?" I asked, tilting my head to the side, looking at him as confused as ever.

Christian sighed, repeating his words.

"I can't read your thoughts, Ella. I can't. Your mind is somehow keeping me from reading them." He told me, making me even more confused than I already was.