GAVIN . . .

GAVIN . . .

Gavin: "Hey Freya."

Me: "..."

Gavin: "So what you think?"

He set his notebook down in front of me. A horribly sketched football occupied the paper. It looked more like a baseball.

Gavin: "Oh damn, I knew it was bad. Don't even say anything, your face says it all."

He picks up his notebook and goes back to his own art table.

I wasn't going to say anything at all. I don't care if he passes or not.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Why aren't you doing anything, Freya?"

Me: "..." I shrugged my shoulders.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Lacking inspiration?"

Me: "..." I nodded.

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Well, what art form were you thinking of using?"

Me: "Photography?"

Mr. Jekyll and Hyde: "Splendid idea. Why don't you look up some famous photographers and get an idea of how you'd like to capture your bird." He pointed to the computer on his desk.

I nodded and got up, bring my bag with with me. I sat comfortably at his desk chair and logged on to his computer. First I typed in 'bird photography'. So many pictures of so many different bird species popped up. Some pictures occupied up to three birds, some only had one bird. Some pictures had their prey in their mouthes, others were diving into water. Some birds displayed colorful feathers, while others were plain or just one startling color.

After a few minutes if scrolling through photos I typed in 'hummingbird photography'. So many colorful hummingbirds filled the page. Staring at them now, I had no clue how I was supposed to capture such a beautiful creature.

Gavin: "So you're gonna draw a hummingbird?"

Me: "..." Why was he behind me?

Gavin: "Seems hard, how you gonna do it?"

Me: "..."

I logged off the computer and went back to my art table. Gavin pulled up a seat next to me and sat down.

Gavin: "You don't talk much, huh?" What gave it away?

Me: "..."

Gavin: "Are you shy?"

Me: "..." I shook my head.

Gavin: "No? Then why don't you talk?"

Me: "..." I shrugged.

Gavin: "Is it me, do you not like me?"

Me: "..." I shook my head again.

Gavin: "Then why don't you talk to me?"

Me: "I have nothing to say."

Gavin: "I'm sure you have plenty to say. It's not healthy to bottle up all your words, you might forget how to talk." The funny thing, he was dead serious.

Me: "..."

Gavin: "So..." He swung his blond hair away from his eyes. "Are you a ninth grader or are you just new? I haven't seen you before."

Me: "I'm new and a ninth grader. I just moved here this summer."

Gavin: "Oh, moving sucks. We just had a new neighbor move in down the street. I feel so bad for the peoples daughter." He chuckled.