FIRST SESSION

FIRST SESSION

My dad picked me up at the dance. He didn't say a thing, the car was silent. I know he wanted to ask, but what could I say? That the school thought I was a whore? That I'm too chicken to face my own problems? No. So nothing was said on the ride home.

Nothing was said for a few days. And then my dad told me they found a therapist. I wasn't sure how to act, so I didn't.

The car was silent as my mom drove me to the therapist's office. This was the first session, but I wasn't nervous. I would have been, but my stomach didn't tighten, my heart didn't feel like it was going to beat out of my chest. I felt calm. It was unsettling.

Mom: "I'll be back in an hour to pick you up."

She drove off the minute I got out of the car. Supposedly I was supposed to check in then wait for the doctor to be ready.

When I was finally called in I got to sit on a comfy couch. I didn't have to lay back like they did in the movies, but that would have been cool. Instead I sat there and stared at the therapist.

She was plump with a rosy smile. Not intimidating at all. So I didn't look away from her assessing gaze.

Therapist: "Hello Freya, I'm Dr. Braine, but you can call me Lizzie."

She stuck out her hand to shake.

I didn't want to shake her hand or call her Lizzie.

When she realized I wasn't going to offer my hand she pulled her's back.

Therapist: "Oh, well then. How has your day been?"

Me: " . . ."

Therapist: "That's okay, if you'd rather not talk about it."

Me: " . . ."

My mom picked me up an hour later. She attempted small talk, tried to get me to tell her how the session went. I ignored her and turned away. There was nothing to tell. The therapist talked and I stared her down. We did this for an hour.

She tried a few approaches. First she tried to get me tell her about myself. That didn't happen. She then started talking about random things, as if trying to get a reaction from me. She even went as far to start telling me about her life. But nothing made me open up to her and nothing will.

Somehow I have a feeling this will end just like my tutoring.