Chapter Six

Katy:

My eyes fluttered open. It was still dark outside. I sleepily rolled on my side and squinted at the clock that sat on my night stand. It read 4:30am. Crap! I hustled into the shower. When I got out I pulled on a mint green sweater, some dark wash skinny jeans, and my white converse.

I didn't have time to do a lot of make up, so I just applied concealer and mascara. I went to the kitchen and left a note for Emily. "Left for work, probably going to be late. Let me know if you need anything. Btw probably going grocery shopping so we can actually eat a meal tonight". Then I grabbed my backpack and left.

I was too tired to drive and at 5am it wasn't very hard to hail a cab. I really needed the cab driver to hurry so that I wasn't late. Working at a radio station was great. Having a morning shift that started at 5:30 am, wasn't so great. When I arrived it was exactly 5:30. Today wasn't going to be an easy day, I didn't go for coffee and there was no way in hell I was going to drink the nasty black coffee that was always sitting cold in the coffee pot at work.

Then it hit me. Luke wanted to grab coffee today at eight. I was working until 11. I wasn't sure if 5:35 was the right time to text him and say I couldn't make it, but I did it anyways.

"Luke, really sorry. I totally forgot I work from 5:30am to 11:00. Maybe grab some lunch?"

An immediate reply:

"You're not just trying to blow me off bc of the shirt situation?"

"Really Luke? It's no big deal. I promise I'm not mad."

"Alright, lunch it is. Where do you work? I'll pick you up and take you to one of my favorite places."

"Z100 New York."

"Be there at 10:59 ;)"

I couldn't figure out why he was up in these ungodly hours. But I had to get to work. I pulled out my laptop and hooked it up. Music time. I loved my job. I wanted a music career, and if this was what I got, I was fine with that.

Six o'clock slowly rolled around and my morning program started. "Hi! I'm Katy and thanks for listening in to Z100 New York. I'll try my hardest to play music that will put you in a good mood for the day," That was reassuring "I'll try." I chuckled. And chose a song from my library. I chose Goodnight Moon by Go Radio. My phone buzzed.

Luke: "Go Radio, one of my favorites"

I was surprised that he was listening in. Another text from him

"I knew you sounded familiar when we spoke briefly yesterday"

Luke Hemmings listened to my morning show? LUKE LISTENED TO MY MORNING SHOW.

The song ended. Time to pick a new one. I chose Adore You by Miley Cyrus. Luke texted again.

"Awh how sweet you adore me. ;)"

I responded. "Shut up!"

Many hours and songs later 10:56 rolled around. One more song and I could close up. I knew Luke was probably still listening. "This one goes out to my friend, Luke," I had the perfect song. Don't You (Forget About Me) from the Breakfast Club.

I was putting my laptop back into my backpack when I heard the studio door open. "Just a minute!" I cooed.

"You're a tease" said someone with a thin Australian accent. I recognized it. "Luke, what are you doing here" I was trying to sound annoyed, but I think he called my bluff. "I told you I'd take you out, and I am" I walked towards him and for the first time actually realized how tall he was. He was easily over 6 feet tall. He put his arm around me and walked me out the door.

I climbed into the passenger seat of his 2014 Nissan Altima. As I was buckling up I noticed that he was staring at me. We made awkwardest eye contact ever. I pulled out my phone to text Emily.

"Bae just picked me up, going to lunch (not sure where yet) let you know how it goes"

As I went to lock my phone I accidentally opened my iTunes app and it started to play some music I was working on. I was so surprised and embarrassed. I dropped my phone. Luke picked it up and smiled. "What's this?" He asked, eye brows raised and a smirk on his face. "Nothing!" I snatched my phone back.

Luke pulled out his phone and plugged it into his aux cord. He pressed play and Somewhere in Neverland by All Time Low began to play. Luke began to sing along to the music.

"Where are we going?" Luke raised his eyebrows and said with a sly smile "Panda Express," and we sped down the busy streets of New York.