Chapter 2 : Jack Avery

I'm so proud of myself. So far, I've survived 4 classes and I'm now on my way to lunch. I approached my locker and swiftly put in my combo. It swung open, making a quiet squeak.

I grabbed my lunch, checked my hair in my mirror, closed my locker, and then let out a small shriek. Zach was there, standing right next to my locker, laughing at me.

"What the hell?! You scared the crap outta me!" I hit him lightly on the shoulder.

"Sorry but, you gotta admit, that was pretty funny. Especially the look on your face when you saw me."

I rolled my eyes. "What do you want?"

"I wanted to ask you something."

"And that is...?" I looked at him blankly waiting for an answer.

"Oh um...wanna eat...lunch? Together?" He slowly turned kinda pink. I raised my eyebrows and stared at him. "Come on, I barely know you." He begged.

"Yeah that's the point..." I pointed out.

"I mean- we could get to know...each other?" He scratched the back of his neck.

I finally gave in. "Fine. Just don't scare me again. I don't wanna choke and die."

A mischievous grin appeared on his face. "No promises..."

"Just come before I regret this." I laughed.

-

We sat outside on a picnic bench under the old oak tree in the school's courtyard. It's where I sat most of the time with Emma.

"So wha-" Zach said, before he got cut off by someone who was calling his name.

"ZACH!...ZACHARY!" Soon enough, a familiar guy with curly, golden brown, hair came running up to us. "Dude, it's the first day and you ditched me to eat lunch wi-" The guy stopped his sentence right when he turned his head to look at me. "Oh. Hey, I'm Jack-"

"Avery. Jack Avery. Yeah, I know you. We were in the same math class in 7th grade." I gave him a smile.

"What the heck Skylar. You knew him before you knew me? Clearly that's a sign. I definitely need to step up my game." Zach shook his head.

"Shut up Herron." Jack hit him playfully on the shoulder and then leaned closer to his ear. "You didn't tell me that you got yourself a girl. She's hot."

I looked at both of them suspiciously. "You guys know that I can still hear you right?" I giggled. Both of their faces turned pink instantly. "Idiots..." I muttered.

"Hey, I can hear you too, Johnson." Zach called me out. I shrugged.

"Ok well I'm gonna go back inside. Uh...you guys can continue your...date." Jack said waving his hands in the air.

"This isn't a date." Zach and I blurted out at the same exact time. Zach facepalmed himself then looked up at Jack from his seat and asked, "Where the hell did you get that idea from?"

"Well, you never denied when I said that you got yourself a girl and you also didn't disagree with me when I called her hot." Jack shrugged.