Chapter 22 : Opening Up

Saturday

Jonah sent a text, informing me to be ready by 4 pm, since he had a couple things planned that had to be done before a certain time. Curious of what the plans could be, I forced myself get off the couch, head upstairs and start getting ready after hours of watching Netflix.

Not wanting to overdo the outfit too much, I went along with wearing a dusty rose off-the-shoulder top with a regular pair of denim shorts that had a few rips here and there. I also got out a small white bag to go with the outfit. Jonah did say that something casual would be just fine.

Emma had no clue that I was even going on a date. I wanted to see how it would go and end up, to be honest. In my mind, our actual first "date", the one where we got milkshakes, didn't exactly count as one considering the fact that Jonah and I barely knew each other. It was only his second day at school and it had some awkward interactions with certain people.

I smiled to myself as I as I thought about that day. If Jonah and I never went on that "date", we would've never started this fake relationship and we probably wouldn't be as close as we are now. Thanks a lot Ethan.

I finished up my makeup and headed downstairs into the empty living room. Mom was gone once again, this time all the way in Chicago, working her ass off just for our family of two. Sometimes it feels like it's just me though. Alone with no one. I grabbed my phone off the couch as someone knocked at the front door. For some reason I panicked and rushed over to get it.

There stood Jonah, wearing a white t-shirt exposed underneath a black button up with his sleeves rolled up just above his elbows. He was wearing black ripped jeans as usual and his sunglasses were hanging on the collar of the white t-shirt.

Involuntarily, I took a look at him from top to bottom. He must've done the same because he slowly looked up with a smirk and an raised eyebrow saying, "Look's like I'm not the only one who's impressed."

I scoffed as I slipped on my checkered Vans. "Trust me, you are the only one."

"That's hurts to know." He sighed but his face immediately lit up again. "Shall we?" He stretched out his hand with a wide smile. I let out a small laugh and placed mine in his. His touch this time was warm and comforting instead of making me jump like it usually does. We got into his car and he drove to the town square, where the bakery from the first hangout was located.

"Alright there are two things planned for today. The first thing is something, but the second thing is gonna be the best part... I hope." He explained, scratching the back of his neck.

"Okay... what's first?" I asked, wondering what it could be.

"A movie. It's kinda lame but I-"He answered quickly.

"Jonah, calm down, its ok. I'm down for a movie. Which one though?" I smiled. It was cute how he got all nervous and unsure trying to impress me.

"That's for you decide, come on." He lead me to the movie theater that was around the corner and I looked at the showtimes. One in particular caught my eye.

"How about that one? It starts in 10 minutes." I suggested and pointed up to a poster that showed a dark photo with a small girl, her back facing towards us.

Jonah gave me a confused stare. "That? You know it's a horror movie right?"

I nodded. "It's just a movie, how scary can it be?"