Chapter 8 : Just Pretend

Emma and I had been catching up on our Netflix show and we still had a few more minutes till Jonah was said to show up by. I forced my tired body to get up and off of the sofa to do my last touchups. I ran my fingers through my hair, getting rid of any knots.

The wait ended up not being too long and there was a quick knock at the door. I gave myself a quick glance in the mirror, making sure I at least looked semi-presentable, and went to go get the door.

My eyes widened. There was Jonah, wearing a white t-shirt underneath a blue and yellow varsity jacket that was paired with pants that were a color close to khaki. He acknowledged the fact that I was staring and smiled to himself

"I guess I'm not the only one who's impressed." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Oh, shut up." He walked me to his car and opened the door for me. I hopped in and buckled my seatbelt. "So.. where are you taking me?"

"You'll like it. Hopefully." He started the car. Most of the ride was quiet. Not awkward but just.. quiet. Jonah paid attention to the road and I stared either at my phone or out the window. After a while, the car stopped and we both got out. Jonah took my hand and lead me into a cute, retro diner.

"Where are we?" I questioned. The location was unfamiliar. Neon signs were hanging on the walls and a jukebox was placed right next to the entrance. The black and white tiles had been lined up to create a checkered pattern underneath the booths.

"I found this place on my way back from school yesterday. It looked cool and I asked some people if it was good. Apparently they have really nice milkshakes." He explained with a grin.

"Then let's get some." We sat down across from each other in a booth towards the back, against a big window. We ordered ourselves a meal to eat for lunch along with two chocolate milkshakes. "This place is so cute... it's a shame it's kinda hidden."

"I gotta agree.. I'm glad you like it though." He said as the waiter dropped off our orders. I immediately leaned to take a sip of my milkshake.

"Wow." I quickly continued to drink some more but eventually stopped once I noticed that Jonah hadn't touched his food yet. "Are you gonna stop staring at me and actually eat?"

"Sorry, I just don't want to look away or blink, cause I don't want to miss even a second of this." He smirked.

I giggled. "You try too hard."

"Anything for you."

"And now you're making me uncomfortable." I rolled my eyes while he chuckled and finally started to take some sips of his drink. "So.. is this a date?" I awkwardly brought up.

"Only if you want it to be." Jonah sent me a half-hearted smile and shrugged. "I said that just so you could come. But hey, I'm fine with saying that it is one." He winked.

"Mmm.." I brushed it off, confused on what to say. We chatted and got to know each other more and ending up leaving half an hour later.

Instead of heading back home, we decided to make our way over to the park that was nearby. Jonah was being considerate and somehow found a way to make me laugh throughout the day. While we were passing a bakery, the pleasant, sweet and doughy scent of pastries and desserts filled the air, clinging onto my attention.

"Let's get some." He pushed.

"Jonah, it's fine I don't need them. They're just cupcakes."

"I'm still gonna get you them."

"You have to stop saying that, idiot. It's not gonna work every time." I laughed.

"I would say ok but... I'm still gonna do it."