Chapter 26 : The Big Question (draft)

"Of course. What's up?" I smiled brightly.

He let out a laugh, loosing his grip on my waist and raising his hand to scratch the back of his neck. "Honestly, I don't know how to say this, and make this nice and all, but there's been something on my mind that I've been wanting to ask you for a bit." He lifted his head to check if he still had my attention. I nodded, pleading for him to go on. "Alright well.." He took in a deep breath and let out a light laugh. "You may or not have known this Sky, but I really like you... like a lot."

My eyes widened, mimicking the size of the moon. Sure, Jonah was the flirty type, but I never in a hundred years would've guessed that he would actually like me out of any of the other girls at our school.

There wasn't a single interesting thing about me. Thinking about it, my whole life had only been full of unfortunate situations. I was just a boring brunette, who many ended up forgetting about once she and her ex broke up. A girl who didn't have her best friend going into senior year with her. A girl who hasn't met her own father since she started Kindergarten. A girl with a mother who works her ass off to support the two.

As I was still trying to process what Jonah had just said, he continued on. "This might sound typical and stupid but when I say you're different from any of the girls I've ever been involved with, I mean it. You're so gentle and caring, sweet but feisty, stunning and beautiful, even a little stupid at times but I like it that way. I like a girl who's true to herself and not busy trying to fit in with those trust fund babies at our school."

If only there was a way to explain how I was feeling at this very moment. I was at a loss for words. Speechless. I can't recall a time where anyone had ever said something so sweet directly to me. It was heartwarming. Truly something that would cause anyone to crack a smile.

"What I'm trying to say here is.." Jonah inhaled deeply. "Skylar, will you be my girlfriend?"

Shut up. He did not just ask me that I-

"What took you so long to ask? I'd love too." I grinned, instantly pulling him closer with my hand on the back of his neck for a kiss.

This kiss was different from any other. There was definitely a spark- a mutual feeling between the two of us for sure. Some sort of adrenaline and electricity flowing through my veins. The deeper the kiss became, the more meaningful it got.

Damn I must really like him.. Emma was right.

We soon pulled apart, the brightest and most precious smile spread across Jonah's face. "So... how long have you been feeling that way?" He teased, nudging me with his elbow and raising his eyebrows.

"Oh shut up." I groaned with a chuckle following. He was already back at it with bothering me.

Gotta love a jack*ass woohoo.

Zach's POV

La douleur exquise. The heart- wrenching pain of wanting someone you can't have.

It felt as if someone had just pounded my heart down with a hammer and let it drown hopelessly as a big wave of emotion crashed in and overtook it.

Instant regret washed over me, but in a new form that I haven't ever experienced before. Why? Why did she make me feel this way? Why did I think I could ever possibly have a chance with her? Because I'm pathetic. I'm pathetic and absolutely stupid. For some reason I really do think that in the end, things will end up going my why but they never do and it all results in me feeling disappointed in myself.

Except this time, it was hatred.

The only reason why I showed up to this foolish dance was so I could see and talk to Skylar. Ever since the new kid moved here, I've felt.. challenged, and as if I've lost one of my best friends. I didn't want to come to the dance with Madison as my date for the night. In fact, f*ck her. I know it sounds rude but I could care less about the self-absorbed snob. Really, what do other guys see in her? I brought Madison with me just to get.. Skylar's attention. Pffft- I thought I could make her jealous.

Another reason why I brought the blonde was so I didn't seem like some loser for not having a date to the dance. Every year I'd gone with some random girl but this year I really wanted someone.. special. All of my friends had a date so I found it weird to not have one as well. Corbyn was with Christina, Jack brought Emma, Daniel asked out a girl named Natalia, and then there's me, the desperate one who brought Madison out of all people. See, I'm pathetic.

Now, right in front of me, I watched the girl I cared for the most get asked to become someone else's girlfriend.

Someone who I couldn't be.

I already knew that they were in a fake relationship for the longest time- that's what gave me the stupid feeling of hope. I thought that if it was all fake, neither of them have actual feelings for the other person. If there weren't any true feelings, then maybe I had a chance. The prospect got me feeling all sorts of emotions. The thought of Skylar actually falling for a guy like him is still so incredibly hard to believe.

I waited too long. I should've done something related to my feelings ages ago. Then maybe, I could've been the one standing in front of her at the moment.

Everything about her is just so damn perfect. The way her smile curls up when she's in a good mood, the way her eyes twinkle when she laughs, the way her long brown hair effortlessly falls over her shoulders, and the way she'll tease you without even knowing it- it's all perfect. The sound of her giggle, how her eyebrows lift up when she's amused, the expression she'll give you when you're bothering her, and even her insults could make any guy hooked within seconds. She's literally the walking version of a utopia.

I really do feel this way- anxious and yearn full.

I wish I could be the guy who makes her smile. The guy who brings her flowers. The guy she calls 24/7. The guy who gets to call her his. Jeez, I'm falling way too deep in my own emotions. Jonah for sure is a lucky guy.

After an extremely long moment of drowning in my own helpless thoughts, I surfaced back to reality. I glanced at the two lovebirds, who still seemed to be living in their own bubble. As I gazed at them for a little longer, the disappointment built up inside of me shifted to exasperation. Annoyance for all the same reasons.

I had enough of it. I couldn't bear watching the two without having even the smallest pang of jealousy. It wasn't a pleasant feeling. Not one bit. Looking at them only made me feel more and more helpless. The two wrapped their arms around each other and pulled themselves into another kiss.

That was when I stormed out of the room.