bullies

this an au where el was raised as a normal girl in hawkins. mike gets bullied and el wants to do something about it. 

"it wasn't my intention to get beat up, but technically, yes,"

~

el liked mike.

she would always try to catch glimpses of him in the hallways when he passed by her between fifth and six periods. she would slow down her walking pace if it meant she could watch the raven-haired boy. sometimes, she would lean against the wall and pretend to read a book, so that no one would question her observing him. he rarely noticed her, though, because his nose was always stuck in a book or he was talking to one of his friends. but she just liked looking at him.

not only was he nice to look at, he was nice to talk to.

el and mike had their chemistry class together last year. mike was super into it, and el was struggling. the two were lab partners, and he basically was the one that got her to pass the class with a b. they spent a fair amount of time together last year. they studied in the library together, and during mr.leal's class, they would pass notes and make paper swans. but this year was just different.

"hey, what the hell are you doing?" called a familiar voice. troy appeared from the throng of people squeezing past one another in the hallway. el rolled her eyes, and troy asked, "is that a book?"

el glanced at mike, who shot her an apologetic smile before taking off to his next class.

he snatched the book from her hands, reading its title, "Hamlet,"

el shot him a look, "it's for school dipshit," she said, grabbing it yet again from him, "i have a quiz next period on it,"

troy smiled, "well, let's put studying on hold," he said as he leaned down to kiss her. she could feel herself cringing as he kissed her. el started dating troy three months ago. she didn't know why because there's literally nothing special about him. but she couldn't leave him. troy was a really aggressive guy. he would lash out at her for no reason or touch her inappropriately. she was scared of what would happen to her if she left.

"are you coming over to my place after school or what?" he asked, his voice low, raising his eyebrows, "my parents aren't home so we can make all the noise we want,"

el laughed, walking away, "ha, you wish, troy,"

troy grabbed her arm as she was walking away, his grasp on her tightening with every second that passed. el was shocked at his aggressive movement. he said, "i'm your boyfriend. you can't refuse me,"

el pulled her hand away from him fiercely and walked down the hallway, her head down as troy yelled out to her, "i'll see you after school,"

~~~

el didn't want to go to troy's house.

she told herself that she was gonna break up with him, despite the fact that he might hurt her if she did. but she knew it was the right thing to do. but when she was nearing the parking lot, she saw that troy was standing up, straight across from the one and only, michael wheeler. her eyes widened. she couldn't hear what they were saying, but it didn't sound like a friendly banter. she started walking faster.

then, all of a sudden, troy pushed mike to the ground.

as el got closer, she caught bits of what they were saying. mike kept yelling, "hey man, don't," but troy said, "nobody tells me what to do," as he kicked mike in the side.

"troy!" el yelled, as she started running.

troy got down on his knees and punched mike's temples and cheeks violently. el ran towards them. there was a small crowd gathering as troy packed his punches, and kept swinging. as she neared troy, she pushed through the small ring of people that huddled around them.

el grabbed troys shirt and swung him to get him off of mike. though troy didn't fall to the ground, she was able to get him off of mike and a fair distance from him.

"what the hell, el?" troy exclaimed, "i almost had him!"

"shut up," she said, as she kneeled down over mike, who was groaning, his face covered in cuts and bruises. el turned back to troy, "we're through,"

"what?"

"i've seen how psychotic you are. i'm not going to deal with it. we're through,"

troy's face reddened as el helped mike up, and troy blurted out, "you're a piece of shit, el,"

"at least i'm not a psycho," el said.

troy scoffed and got in his car, driving off in fury, the crowd breaking off, going into their own cars.

el took mike to the nurse's office. the nurse was gone, so the school officials just told them to find some ice for his face. el lied him down on one of the tables and went to grab ice.

she heard mike mumble, "thank you,"

el smiled, and said, as she scooped up ice into a bag, "he's a piece of shit for doing that. i'm sorry,"

mike mumbled, "what are you sorry for?"

el sighed, tying up the bag of ice, starting a new one, "i guess i'm sorry for dating that douchebag. he's a bully,"

after she had three bags of ice, she returned to mike, and put one on his scraped up hand, one on his opposite elbow. el then pressed the bag of ice into mike's cheek. mike looked banged up. his eye was swollen he had cuts on his chin and cheeks. he had a few incoming bruises on his forehead.

"you're pretty badass, you know?" mike said.

el smiled, then looked down into her lap, "oh, thanks. sometimes i think i come across as mean,"

"no way," mike said, "you're pretty awesome,"

el smiled, then frowned, "why'd troy do this anyway?"

"oh," mike said, his voice becoming shaky, and his eyes widening, "well, um. he was being a piece of shit in the hallway to you, earlier, so i just... i wanted him to stop. it seemed awful,"

el gazed at the raven-haired boy in awe, " you got beat up for me?"

mike gave her a nervous smile, "it wasn't my intention to get beat up, but technically, yes,"

el looked down, smiling to herself.

mike sucked in a breath, and tried to meet her eyes, "you know, me and a couple of friends were planning on watching a movie at my place. do you wanna come?"

el giggled, "depends," she said, "which movie?"

"star wars,"

el smiled, knowing that this would be the dawn of a new life for her.

"well, i mean in that case, i can't really refuse,"

kind of corny, i know, but i think it's pretty cute.