Chapter 23

I DON'T OWN THE ARTWORK!

Two Years Later:

Nick and Judy walked into the Zootopia Orphanage. They were finally ready to start their family. Her heart fell as she saw how many children there were. She just wanted to take them all home with her, but their house wasn't big enough.

After she and Nick married, they bought a cottage style house ten minutes away from the ZPD. It had three bedrooms, and two bathrooms. A bit small, but it was home.

(Just recently, newly elected Mayor Rudolph Reinstein, signed two bills. One allowing interspecies marriages. The other allowing interspecies couples to adopt.)

They had already discussed what they wanted child wise. They'd start with one. Nick had his heart set on adopting a bunny, he wanted a girl that he could spoil, and protect from boys. Judy wanted a fox, a son she could read stories to at night. They agreed that they'd adopt whatever child stole their hearts right away.

Many of the orphans looked at them in amazement. They'd never seen a fox and bunny couple. They were also excited, hoping against hope that they'd finally be adopted. Nick wasn't prepared for this. How could he chose?

"Momma!" Little voices called to Judy. Twin fox kits toddled over to her. One kit was a marble fox with piercing blue eyes. The other was jet black with mesmerizing green eyes. They were fraternal twins.

"Ash! Cole!" Mrs. Jumps, the kangaroo who ran the orphanage scolded. Scooping them up she apologized. "I'm so sorry Mr. and Mrs. Wilde, these two are a pawful."

"It's ok." Judy said. "How old are they?"

"Eighteen months." The roo answered. "They've been here for over a year now."

"May I hold them?" Judy held her paws out.

"Sure thing." She answered, placing the kits in the bunnies arms.

Ash, the marble fox, he wore a little blue onesie and black pants. Cole wore little denim jeans and a white onesie. They nuzzled against Judy's chest, wallowing in her scent.

"How have these adorable babies not been adopted yet?" She cooed.

Mrs.Jumps eyed Nick with hesitation before answering. "Despite current breakthroughs, foxes are still scrutinized. Also, they're twins. Parents want to adopt one or the other, but never both, and I don't have the heart to separate them."

Nick looked at them. They were adorable, and trying to steal his wife.

"They're a package deal." The roo said. "So far no parent has felt like adopting more than one child."

As Judy snuggled the precious kits, his dream of having a daughter went down in flames. But when she looked at him with her pleading lavender eyes, he knew it was a done deal. He was about to have two sons.

"I can't say no to you, Carrots." He sighed. His gaze turned to the kangaroo. "Where do we sign?"

It would take a few days for the paperwork to go through, but Nick and Judy were free to go ahead and take their sons home. Mrs. Jumps sent the kits' belongings with them which amounted to a backpack full of diapers, a few outfits, and two bottles.

Ash squirmed in Judy's arms. "What's wrong, sweetie?" She cooed.

He opened his arms and looked at Nick. He wanted his daddy, and Cole wanted his mommy. So they swapped kits.

They walked until they reached Susan's house. Nick pulled out his spare key, and opened the door.

"Hey mom, we have a surprise for you!" Nick called out. "Where are you?"