Chapter 1 - Birmingham

"Don't ever doubt yourselves or waste a second of your life. Its too short, and you're too special." - Ariana Grande

" - Ariana Grande

The train slowly rolled into Birmingham station, once it stopped, a woman with long brown hair looked outside, observing her surroundings only to see plain walls before her. She sighed, knowing this was her new home and stood up, grabbing her luggage from above her before walking off the train and out the station. She looked in wonder at the dark and grimy streets of Birmingham as she made her way to Watery Lane were the house she just bought was.

When she walked down the streets with her two bags, one over the shoulder and one hanging from her other hand, the woman noticed that the people of Birmingham would move out the way for her. Only glancing at her as she walked, and she smirked at the intimidation she was obviously giving, or it was because she was wearing trousers and it was very uncommon for women to wear trousers. Sparks flew from the right of her as workers worked away on fuelling the fire.

Lillian McDonald wasn't surprised by her intimidation she had, growing up with four brothers, a father and without a mother, she learned to be tough and it helped during the war, making the second Lieutenant very quickly with her fighting skills and leadership qualities, a rarity you ever found in a woman apparently. To everyone, she looked like the most innocent person alive, with her small stature and her baby face but when making eye contact you could see that they were a lot older than her 24-year-old self. Those eyes had seen such horrors, so much death during the four years.

Lillian wore trousers since the war and she grew accustomed to the comfortable feeling of them, so even being back for a year she still preferred to wear them, but she did wear dresses or skirts on occasion or when she felt like it. With the specific skill set Lillian had, she learned that for them to be effective she couldn't wear dresses. She looked up at the sign of Watery lane and smiled, looking at the chattering people and kids running around.

She quickly found the house, noticing across from hers a small group of men outside, cueing to enter. She stared in curiosity for a few seconds before shaking the weird feeling and entering the house. It was nice by her standards, a few things to work on but overall, she knew it was just fine for her. She quickly unpacked, humming to herself as it kept her from her own thoughts which would end up being about the war, her singing always calmed her down and the soldiers she was within her battalion.

After unpacking she went outside, feeling the need to have a drink and she remembered the pub she passed on the way to her house known as the Garrison and made her to it. Once she arrived, she opened the doors with a bit of a bang, all chatter ceased as the men gazed at the beautiful new women in Birmingham before gazing in shock with the outfit she was wearing. Lillian noticed the stares, rolling her eyes at them as she closed the doors behind her.

"The fuck you all looking at, Hmm?" Her Scottish accent was prominent in her voice, adding to the men's curiosity about who she was. The glare she gave the men unsettled them and they all quickly looked away, causing Lillian to smirk before she made her way to the corner of the bar.