Chapter 4 - Good Thing I'm Not A Whore Then

"Sometimes you have to ignore certain people." - Unknown 

"Come to the fair with us

"Come to the fair with us." Was the first thing Lillian heard when she opened her door the next morning to see Arthur Shelby standing in front of her.

"The fair, why?" She replied, and Arthur sighed.

"It'll be the first fair we've been to since France and I know you haven't gone to one either so that's why we're going. Even my little brother Finn's going." He explained, and Lillian nodded.

"Is Thomas going?"

"Yes, but I've told him not to say anything stupid." He told her.

"Alright then, you're lucky that I was already dressed, or I would have said no." Arthur grinned at her response and stepped back as she closed the door to her house, locking it. They walked across the street as the car pulled up and Lillian ignored Thomas as Finn came running out.

"Arthur who's the girl?" he shouted up at him and Lillian crouched down in front of him.

"Hello, I'm Lillian." She introduced, and Finn grinned at her.

"Hello, can I call you Lil." Finn said, and Lillian smiled, nodding her head. "I made a new friend Arthur." The 11-year-old said proudly, and Arthur shook Finn's hair causing him to whine in response as he ran away and into the car, the two following behind him. Finn, Lillian and John squeezed in the back as Arthur and Thomas sat up front. Lillian ignoring his glances when he looked back. He drove for a while, the ride being mostly quiet as Finn asked Lillian a load of random questions until he stopped at a bank of a river.

"I thought you said we were going to the fair?" Arthur said as Thomas switched the engine off and he turned to him.

"We have business first, come one. Bring your wits." He told Arthur as he got of the car. The rest following as Arthur looked at his brother in confusion.

"What business?" he asked.

"That's the Lee Family." John stated, and Lillian looked at the wooden carriages and the horses and realized they were gypsies. She had nothing against gypsies, never had and her like for them only grew when Arthur told her his family was part gypsy due to their mother's side.

"Tommy!" A man shouted with his arms wide, he looked the same age as Thomas, but this person actually smiled.

"Johnny dogs." Thomas responded not as enthusiastic as Johnny but then again Thomas didn't look like the type of person to ever look excited for anything.

"Tommy, how the hell are you?" Johnny asked as he shook his hand.

"All the better for getting the city smoke out of my lungs." Thomas replied, and Johnny looked at all of us.

"I thought you became a bit too grand for us." He commented as they walked together.

"I've been busy." Thomas responded vaguely as he smoked, and Johnny looked behind him at Lillian and smirked.