Chapter 10 - There Isn't Anything About You Being A Dick

Life doesn't require that we be the best, only that we try our best. - H. Jackson Brown Jr.

"Get another glass

"Get another glass." Tommy ordered, and Lillian grabbed one, putting it next to his as he poured the pair a glass each. "Can you make a toast?"

"I'm Scottish, I can make a million toasts but there all probably shite." Lillian answered truthfully. "May you be in heaven a full half hour before the devil knows you're dead, but I don't believe about that bullshit because I already know I'm going to hell. What are we celebrating?" She asked, the two hadn't spoken about last night events, they were even quiet on the walk home and she kissed his cheek as he stood at her front door, bidding him goodnight and closing the door with a smile on her face. It's fair to say she was happy at the moment.

"Contract of employment." He said putting the paper down in front of her and she read the job description.

"Book-keeper. Shelby Brothers Limited." She said with a raised eyebrow and he turned away from her, leaning his back on the bar as he smoked.

"I don't like that word, "Limited"." He told her, and she nodded.

"Neither do I but to be respectable, you have to be "Limited"."

"That's what worries me." He stated.

"Grace had the phone put in." She said with a cross of her arms. "She's been asking a lot of questions the past few days I'm starting to get a little suspicious."

"I spoke to her after I found out she'd been asking Arthur about how we run our business, I told her it was none of her business."

"The phones in the back." She said to him and he raised his eyebrows.

"If we knew someone else who had a phone, we could call them." Lillian smiled at his comment.

"And since we are celebrating, I had this delivered from Rackham's Department Store. Will you open it?" She asked as she brought the bottle out and he shook his head.

"No. Save it for a special occasion." He said, and she nodded, putting it back where it was. "Right, your first job for the company. I want you to get that to my sister."

"I don't see her? No-one does. She is hiding from me."

"I wonder why?" She muttered sarcastically, and Tommy rolled his eyes.

"I am told she goes to a bathhouse on Montague Street on woman-only days. She goes in disguise, so I need to get someone inside."

"What am I delivering?"

"It's an invitation to a family occasion. I want her there. So, tell her there will be a truce."

"Am I delivering bait for a trap?" She asked.