Chapter 21 - He does like to amuse his next Victim

Sometimes you forgive people, simply because you still want them in you're life. - unknown

"We're not open for winnings yet

"We're not open for winnings yet." Esme shouted at the door when she heard the knock.

"I'm here to see Thomas Shelby." Said a familiar posh voice and Lillian sighed, going over to the door with Esme to see the same woman from the auctions. "I have an appointment." Esme stepped aside letting her in as Lillian stared her down.

"Come in." She walked in, moving towards the middle of the room before the pair of them quickly moved in front of her.

"May Carleton." She introduced, hands outstretched but neither of them shook it.

"Mr Shelby has his proper meetings in his other office." Esme stated with her arms cross.

"This was the address that he gave me." She replied.

"He gave you this address?" Esme said in disbelief.

"He said it was a gambling den.I told him that I've wanted to see one since I'm always reading about them in the papers. Quite the big scandal in the Telegraph lately. Anyway, he said that I could come and have a look. And now I feel like a bit of an idiot because I'm early and he's late and I have no idea how to behave." She explained rather quickly.

"In a gambling den?" Esme repeated.

"I'll wait in the car." May said starting to turn.

"If I open the door again, they'll all want to come in like flies." Esme said annoyed as she went to pick the books up taken them to another table.

"I'm not surprised Thomas let you see this. He does like to amuse his next victim." Lillian muttered as she walked away to Esme who stifled a laugh.

"So what are you?" Esme asked and she looked at her confused.

"W-what am I?"

"To Thomas?" Esme clarifies.

"I'm going to train his racehorse for Epsom."

"You know horses?"

"Yes."

"You?"

"Born riding. I slept in a manger when I was a baby."

"I was born riding, too." May told her before the door opened.

"There's a fucking great Riley parked out there and nobody's watching it." John's voice was loud as he made his way over to the desk, leaning over May as he put the money down.

"John, this woman says she's training Thomas' horse." Esme told her husband as Lillian stepped up beside him and Lillian didn't realise how tall he was until he was looking down on the pair of them.