Chapter 8 - Not In A Million Years, Arthur

Being bored is an insult to oneself. - Jules Renard 

Lillian ignored Tommy as he entered the private room at the Garrison with Polly behind him, she was still angry at him and for good reasons, she told Arthur about what happened the same night at the bar now that he owned the place and Lillian had ...

Lillian ignored Tommy as he entered the private room at the Garrison with Polly behind him, she was still angry at him and for good reasons, she told Arthur about what happened the same night at the bar now that he owned the place and Lillian had to coax him back into his seat and calm him down as he was ready to fight him when he went home. She didn't want to be in the same room as him, but Arthur asked for her stay as John told them what he wanted, she only stayed once John gave her permission as she could tell this was a family matter making her feel out of place.

"Hey Polly." She said with a wave of her hand as she sat next Arthur, missing out Tommy's name for a reason as she crossed her arms. Polly smiled back knowing that she was mad at her nephew.

"All right, John. There's only one right –" Thomas started, and Arthur begrudgingly offered him a glass of whiskey which he denied. "No. There's only one man guarding the house. What's troubling you?" he asked, and John cleared his throat, obviously uncomfortable about this and Lillian smiled at him reassuringly.

"Polly, you know what it's been like since Martha died." He started, and Polly nodded.

"God takes the best first." She told him, and he nodded.

"The truth is, my kids have been running bloody rings around me. Running barefoot with the dogs until all hours." He explained, and Lillian noticed Tommy sigh.

"Pol, give him ten bob, some shoes. Is that it, John?" he said and Lillian.

"Oh, fuck off Thomas." She snapped with a roll of her eyes, ignoring his gaze on her as she stared straight ahead, it was like he was doing everything to annoy her today and being an ungrateful to his brother is not helping.

"Tommy, we'd be better doing this without you." Polly said with a glare. He sighed, tearing his gaze from Lillian and leaning against the wall again. "Now, what's your point?"

"What the kids need is a mother. So, that's why I'm getting married." John said, and everybody shifted, Lillian could feel Arthur's arm tense behind her back as he looked at her then Tommy.

"Does this poor girl know you're going to marry her or are you going to spring it on her all of a sudden?" Polly asked, and he nodded.

"I've already proposed, and she said "yes"." John said.

"I think there's a shell about to land and go bang." Tommy commented as he pulled out a cigarette.

"It's, er It's Lizzie Stark." He said awkwardly, knowing the reaction as they all tried to cover their laugh, even Lillian who hadn't been here for long had heard of her, she covered her mouth looking at Arthur who was sniggering in his seat.