Chapter 12 - I've got your back, Always

"Forgive yourself for not having the foresight to know what now seems so obvious in hindsight."  - Judy Belmont

After last nights events, Lillian barely slept, nightmares from the war kept her awake all the noises came back and Lillian found it hard to block out everything she tried to forget

After last nights events, Lillian barely slept, nightmares from the war kept her awake all the noises came back and Lillian found it hard to block out everything she tried to forget. She laid in bed for hours, closing her eyes as she finally let sleep take her only to go to place she didn't want to remember.

Flashback July 1st, 1916

"Alright you bastards! You know what we have to do! Take control of the 24 km stretch of the River Somme from the German pricks! It is 0725 hours, we're all don't want to be here but we have cause we're all miserable bastards. According Lieutenant Haig this should be an easy win as all those artillery bombs we've been hearing for the past couple of days have supposedly destroyed the German trench line and rendered them useless. However, DO NOT let your guard down, never do that because it could save your life." Second Lieutenant, Lillian McDonald shouted to her infantry.

"Didn't you say this was a bad idea Lieutenant?" Someone asked, and she turned to see Arthur Shelby, standing at attention.

"I did but I'm just doing as I'm told." She replied, and he smirked.

"When do you ever play by the rules?"

"When the first Lieutenant's got a gun stuck up his arse and won't let me say anything." She said to him and he nodded, ending the conversation.

"If I survive this battle can you suck my cock!" Said one of the juvenile soldiers a few people down, the people around him let small laughs around them but the rest of the infantry stayed quiet. The boys were new and didn't know that they were being bossed by a woman.

"If you even try I'll blow your dick off!" Lillian replied with a glare, giving him a look that told him, she was deadly serious. "POSITIONS! It's time." She ordered, and they went to the edge of the trenches, soldiers on the ladders. "ON MY SIGNAL!" There was complete silence, breathes were heavy from fear and adrenaline, Lillian looked around at the men knowing that for some of these men, it will be there last day on earth. "God help us all." She muttered as she readied her gun, which caused the others to do the same. She let out a shaky breath as the whistle went off at 0730 hours.

"ATTACK!"

Men after men went over the trench in a line as they slowly crossed no man's land. Lillian was the last to go over the top and the silence that surrounded them was unsettling as they made their way across. They were a quarter of a way there when Lillian heard guns reload, her head snapped into the distance at the German trench line and a shimmer of metal caught her eye. Her eyes widened when she realized it was a trap.

"EVERYONE DOWN!"

She saw Arthur to her left and tackled him to the ground just as the guns starting blazing, taking down men who weren't quick enough like bowling pins as Lillian landed on Arthur who groaned in pain, she looked down seeing his leg bleeding and she quickly surveyed her surroundings looking for an opportunity, the guns around her stopped to reload again and she took her chance and quickly dragged an injured Arthur to the trench.