Maybe it was yesterday - Wirt Backstory

Wirt first faced the beast on that cold winter in the Unknown. He was too scared to do anything but watch the beast disappear in the darkness. As soon as the beast was gone he turned back to Greg and froze.

Greg was gone. Wirt was alone in the Unknown with the beast not far away. He faced the way the beast went and made a decision. He ran towards the darkness.

"WHERE IS HE YOU BITCH." He screamed a string of curses and threats as he ran. He was not going to be left alone like this. He ran until he thought his feet were bleeding. He stopped the running and the cursing to catch his breath. One last one.

"I WILL KILL YOU." Wirt yelled as loud as he could into the dark and stood there for a bit.

"You amuse me Wirt." A voice broke the cold silence. It was dark and had a happy tone to it. The beast was here. "I've never seen you cry like that. Hehe. I'm willing to offer you a little gift." A dark hand like shadow appeared from out of the dark. The contrast of his hand to the snow was the only way to tell where the beast was. Until the lantern emerged from the darkness too. It was lit.

"We shall play a game. It's like hide and seek with a little twist." The beast showed his full body. His bright white eyes were the biggest source of light.

"Why should I? Would I get Greg back? Or-or is he" Wirt started crying even harder (if that was even possible) "is he dead." He was racked with sobs and the biting cold. If the beast wasn't going to kill him now frostbite definitely will.

"No no Wirt. If you win you get him back. I'm not that cruel." The beast attempted to pat Wirt on the back but Wirt jumped back about 4ft. "The twist. You may or may not get his real self. You might get his soul. If you do, you must put him in the lantern and soon after Greg will be himself again." The beast seemed to smile, even if his mouth was nowhere near visible.

Wirt thought about it. The beast is lying about something. It's never as easy as hide and seek. Let's be honest here, what did he have to lose?

Wirt reached out and took the lantern in his shaking hands. He then looked up at the beast and nodded.

"Fantastic decision. Just remember to keep that lantern lit. And also-"

Everything was black.

-

Now Wirt lay on the snowy forest ground. Snow was accumulating around him. His new antlers were rapidly growing to their full size. His eyes glowed bright flashing pastel colors. He was a new hunger in him. A new Anger.

He's hungry for souls.