Chapter 5__Kill Or Be Killed

"And I can't stay alone at the house anymore because a psychotic bitch would kill me, right?" I asked Stefan in the town's park. They were rebuilding it.

"Correct," Stefan said as he chopped at a board.

"And this fake fight between you and Elena is for the same reason, right?" I asked, and Stefan looked at me with surprise. "What? There's no way Katherine split you two up that easily in one day." 

"It's not a fake fight, Nicola," Stefan said, looking past me.

"No?" I asked sarcastically.

"No." 

"Then why are you not looking at me and looking past me to Elena and Caroline to give Elena an 'I miss you' look?" 

Stefan looked away from Elena and Caroline, standing straight and turning away, not answering.

"That's what I thought," I said.

"It's not what you think," Stefan told me.

"Sure it's not," I replied, looking back at my work and I noticed Elena walking closer. "Uh-oh. Should I go away so you can mend your little lover's spat?" 

"Please," Elena said.

I tilted my head, raising my eyebrows and putting down my paint brush, walking away.

Before I did, I patted Stefan's shoulder. "You can't lie to me." 

Then I kept on walking, and Elena waited to speak until I couldn't hear.

~

I was by the lemonade stand when Mason Lockwood stood next to me. "How would a father of a Founding Family react to his daughter being completely okay with the fact that her ancestors are vampires?" 

I turned to face him. "About as well as the town of Mystic Falls would react to the fact they have a werewolf living amoung them."  Mason tilted his head questionally. "Mmm, yeah, I know who you are. And I have no idea why you're bringing my father into this when he's dead." 

"Oh," Mason said with sarcasm. "Probably due to one of your ancestors. And, yes, you're right. This town wouldn't like what I am. About as much as they'd like what Stefan and Damon are. Or what you are. A human who knows everything, housing two vampires of her own. You'd be just as guilty as they are." 

I pressed my lips together, placing down my lemonade. "Why are you talking to me? Threatening me? To get to them?" 

"I'm not threatening you, Nicola," Mason said. "That's not a threat. When it's a threat, you'll know it. I'm not doing anything wrong, am I?" 

"Not yet." 

Mason smirked. "You have no idea." 

My eyebrows furrowed, wondering what the hell that meant when Damon stepped next to us. "Hello, Mason. Working hard?" 

"Doing my part," Mason replied. 

"Why are you talking to Nicola?" 

"Just making conversation." 

"Yeah, well, why don't you go make conversation somewhere else?" I asked. 

Damon ignored me, looking at Mason. "Speaking of making conversation, I heard you talked to Stefan." 

"Nice guy," Mason said.

"Yeah, a lot nicer than either of us," Damon said. 

"Nice is overrated."