Chapter 18__The Last Dance

"Please sign here and here," the lawyer told me and Elena at the table while Bonnie watched.

"Okay," Elena said.

"So, why are they having you both sign it?" Bonnie asked us. "I mean, this place is yours, Nicola."

I gave her a secretive look. "As sole owneres, we're the only ones who can invite a certain type of person in here, if you know what I mean. They're having Elena sign it so I don't lock Damon out."

Bonnie smirked. "Tempting idea."

"I know," I said. "It's also a safe house for Elena here."

"That's the idea," Elena agreed.

"Wouldn't want to clean it," Bonnie said, making Elena laugh.

~

I opened the door for the lawyer as Elena said, "Thank you, Mr. Henry."

I started to turn away when Stefan and Damon walked into nothing but air, and I smirked, turning to face them. "I'm sorry. I completely forgot."

"Mm-hmm," Damon said sarcastically.

I had known them my whole life. Or, most of it. And they knew, of course, I hadn't forgotten.

Elena looked at Stefan. "Stefan. Would you like to come inside our house?"

"I'd love to," Stefan said.

After Stefan walked in, both Elena and I looked at Damon, who asked, "What are we, 12?"

"One of us is," I replied.

"If we let you in, do you promise to obey the owners of this house?" Elena asked.

Damon scoffed. "No."

"Seriously, Damon," Elena said. "My way. You promised. I call the shots. No lies, no secret agendas. Remember?"

"Yes, Elena," Damon said. "Sure." Elena looked at me with a smile, walking away. Damon looked at me. "Nikki . . ."

"Please, come on in," I said with a smile. He started to walk in, and I turned after him. "See? Trust me."

Damon gave me a sarcastic smile, looking at Stefan's smile. "Shut up."

Bonnie came in with Elena's jacket, handing it to her as Elena said, "Thanks."

"Wait, where are you going?" Stefan asked.

"To school," Elena answered.

"Huh?" Stefan asked.

"No, no, no," Damon said. "We didn't create a safe house for you to leave it."

"Yeah, guys," Stefan said. "Klaus is out there. We know that."

"Right," Elena said. "But where? No one knows. Look, I really appreciate what you guys are doing. And I'll be able to sleep at night knowing that I'll be safe here, but I'm not going to be a prisoner."

"Your way, Elena," Damon said bitterly.

"Don't worry, I'm ready," Bonnie said. "If he shows his face, I can take him. Know how."

"The way I see it, next to Bonnie is the safest place that I can be," Elena said. "Come on."

They walked out while I hesitated, looking at Stefan and Damon, while Damon gestured for us to go.

"Wait, um, we're coming," Stefan said as we both turned after them.

~

Elena was showing a poster of the decade dance to Stefan and Bonnie and me on the other side of Stefan, Stefan saying no, with me shrugging, Bonnie saying yes, Bonnie's answer overriding Stefan's as Alaric walked in. "Hello, class. What are we learning today?"