Chapter 13__Daddy

Stefan, Damon and I were in Stefan's room, talking about Stefan's idiot plan.

"You brought back John Gilbert?" I asked. "That was your big 'Save Elena' move?" 

"I went to go look for Isobel and I got John instead," Stefan answered. "He said he can help us, and we're desperate." 

"We're not that desperate, Stefan," Damon said. "The guy tried to barbecue me!" 

"Damon, Bonnie's new witch friend is working with Elijah, so we have to assume that the moonstone was never destroyed," Stefan said. "Elena is putting all of her faith into some deal that she made with Elijah to keep everyone safe. I mean, do you trust Elijah? I don't trust him. He's an Original, he can't be trusted. It's not like we can just go up and kill him, because apparently, he can't die!" 

"I'm still waiting for the part where John Gilbert is the answer," Damon said. "Did you forget the part where he wanted Nikki dead, too?" 

Stefan ignored that. "He knew about the sacrifice. Isobel told him. He said he knew of a way to keep Elena safe." 

"And how do we do that?" 

"He's not talking. At least not to me, anyway." 

"Great work, Stefan," I said sarcastically. "Top notch." 

"As if I didn't have enough problems," Damon said, starting to walk away.

"Hey, I'm sorry about Rose," Stefan said. 

"Whatever. I knew the woman for five minutes." 

"And you cared about her after five minutes," I said. "I wonder what that could possibly mean."

"It means I care, Nikki," Damon said. "It means I'm changing, evolving into a man capable of greatness. DIdn't we have this coversation last night?" He looked at Stefan. "Better watch your back, because I may just have to go get a hero-hairdo of my own, and steal your thunder." 

I rolled my head, shaking my head as he walked out, Stefan's phone vibrating from a text.

"What?" I asked. 

"Caroline," Stefan answered. "I'll be back." 

"Take forever doing so," I said as he walked out. 

I slowly followed out of the room, but stayed at home.

~

Caroline had been kidnapped by had been saved from Jules the werewolf and her pack.

I opened the front door to see John Gilbert, scoffing, rolling my eyes as I started to close the door.

John put out his hand to stop, pushing it open. "I'm here to see Damon." 

"Isn't everyone?" I asked as Damon walked into the room behind me.

"What do you want?" Damon asked.

"We didn't finish our conversation," John answered. 

"I'll bite." 

Damon nodded for me to let John in and I sighed an annoyed sigh, reluctantly letting John in.

"I've been thinking," John said. "Personal feelings aside, Damon, I think you and Stefan will do all you can to protect Elena." 

"I agree with that statement," Damon said. 

"So I come bearing gifts." 

He unfolded a cloth, a silver dagger and a jar full of white ash inside.

"What is that?" I asked.

"This is how you kill an Original," John answered. "In this vial is ash from a white oak tree that dates back to the genesis of the Originals. The dagger must be dipped into the ash, and then plunged into their heart." 

Damon took the dagger. "How do you know all this, John?" 

"Isobel. She's very good at finding out things. But of course, you know that." 

"Where is Isobel?" 

"Let's just say if she accomplishes what she's attempting, Klaus will never set foot in Mystic Falls. Where Elena's concerned, you and I are on the same side." 

He left out of the door I held open, pushing the door shut behind him.

I still hated John Gilbert.