Chapter 21__The Sun Also Rises

Outside the witch house, Elijah, Alaric, Stefan and I walked toward it.

"The sacrifice is completed in stages as the full moon sets," Elijah explained. "First, the werewolf is killed, then the vampire. Finally the Doppelganger. Once Elena dies, the curse will be broken. Klaus will become a hybrid."

"So when do we attack?" Alaric asked.

"Elena's death will activate his dormant werewolf side," Elijah told us. "He'll be vulnerable during the transformation. That's when Bonnie comes in."

"And you're sure Bonnie will survive this?" I asked.

"If she can deliver him to the brink of death, I'll finish the job myself," Elijah answered.

Stefan's phone rang, so he walked away to answer it. "Damon. Cut to the chase. Is the sacrifice happening or not? We're sticking with the original plan. We're meeting Bonnie right now. What?" Stefan looked back at Alaric.

"What is it?" Alaric asked his worried face. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, my God," Stefan said instead of answering.

~

"Why did he take Jenna?" Bonnie asked Elijah, Stefan and me.

"A punishment for meddling," Elijah answered.

"Klaus was going to use Tyler and Caroline," Stefan explained. "But Damon rescued them."

"Then we need to go," Bonnie said. "Now. Before Jenna's sacrificed. I can kill Klaus myself."

"Bonnie . . ." I trailed off. "If you use that much power, you'll be dead. We've already been through this. It's not an option."

"Neither is letting Jenna die," Bonnie told me.

"Well, Stefan would agree with you," Elijah said.

Both Bonnie and I were confused, but Stefan walked closer to Bonnie, leading her away, speaking low enough to where I couldn't he ear.

~

Bonnie and Elijah were inside, but I was still outside with Stefan as I asked him, "What does Elijah know about what you told Bonnie but don't want me to know?"

"You don't need to worry, Nicola," Stefan told me.

"If it ends up with one of us dying, then I do," I replied.

Elijah came closer to us, making us face him. "Bonnie did the locator spell. They're at Steven's Quarry."

"I'll head over there first and you'll follow with Bonnie when it's time," Stefan said.

"Just as the moon hits its final phase," Elijah said. "She's to stay hidden until then. He cannot know that she's alive."

Stefan nodded, starting to walk away and I turned around to face him. "You're gonna trade yourself for Jenna, aren't you?" He turned back, not answering, and I staryed to shake my head. "Stefan . . ."

"You're very honorable," Elijah tokd him.

"Are you?" I asked, not looking at him, my gaze still on Stefan in numbness. "Because this whole plan is, um, contingent upom your honor, Elijah."

"I won't fail you," Elijah told me.

"Klaus is your brother," Stefan said. "I know I've wanted to kill my brother a thousand times. I've never been able to."

"Well, Klaus was not my only brother," Elijah said. "I had siblings, parents. I had a family. Over the centuries, Klaus hunted them down one by one and he took them from me. He scattered them across the seas where their bodies could not be found."