Chapter 16__The House Guest

I woke up in a bad mood.

Katherine, out of the tomb, in Stefan's room, when I walked in to see them, Damon and Elena.

"What the hell is she doing here?" I demanded.

"When we killed Elijah, it broke the compulsion and freed the bitch from the tomb," Damon answered.

"How's that possible?" Stefan asked.

"He's an Original," Katherine stated. "They have all sorts of special skills."

"I don't want you here," Elena said. "Get her out of here."

"You need me, Elena," Katherine said. "You all do."

"Like hell," I retorted.

"We all want the same thing . . . Klaus dead. Yet here you all are, running around like chickens with their heads cut off."

"I don't need your help and I don't want it," Elena said.

"And that's incredibly stupid of you," Katherine told her. "Do you know where Klaus is? When he's coming, what he looks like?"

"If you know something, say it or get out," Damon said.

"Fine. Then I'll just go to the Grill and have some lunch . . . Maybe Aunt Jenna's free for a bite."

Oh, that stupid bitch.

~

When I walked back into the house after school, Damon was asking Stefan, "What did Papa Witch and Baby Witch have to say?"

I looked at Katherine. "Isn't she gone or dead yet?"

"For the last time, I'm here to help," Katherine said. "Can we skip the secrets, hmm?"

"Elijah had no weapon to kill Klaus, but he believed that if a witch could channel enough power . . ." Stefan trailed off. "They wouldn't need one?"

"Like the power you get from a spot marked with a hundred dead witches?" Damon guessed.

Stefan raised his eyebrows. "We just need to find it."

Damon looked at me. "Then, good, you're back. You can help me figure out where it is by reading . . ." He looked down at all of the Gilbert journals on the table. "These."

"Good, you're insane," I said, starting to walk for the stairs. "I'm not helping."

He appeared of me, making me stop as Stefan said, "Nicola, the sooner we figure this out, the sooner we can kill Klaus."

"And you know this is agony for me to admit, but we need your help," Damon told me.

I faked a gasp. "What did you just say?"

"I'm not saying it again," Damon said.

"Then I'm not helping," I told him. "Just change the first word. And say it very slowly."

Damon glared, and I smirked, Stefan and Katherine watching in amusement. "I . . .need . . .your . . .help."

I smiled, taking the journal in his hand so I could start helping.

~

Katherine was walking closer to Damon.

"Can I help you?" Damon asked.

"I'm bored," Katherine said.

"I got a stake handy if you really want it," I said, not looking up from the journal, still reading. "Put you out of your misery."

"Heh," Katherine said sarcastically. "I've missed our talks, Cola."

I ignored the annoying nickname as she walked closer to me.

Katherine looked at the journal in my hands. "'Emily Bennett was taken by the Council today'." Damon looked up, interested. "'They kidnapped her from her home and took her to the same location her ancestors were burned a hundred years ago'. So Emily died on the site of the massacre too. Does it say where?"

She tried to take the journal, but I held it tighter. "Nope. You know this whole friendly, cooperative thing?"

"Mm-hmm," Katherine answered.

"I don't buy it," I told her.

"I have no reason to lie to you, Nicola," Katherine told me.

"Lie," I whispered.

"I'm hungry," Katherine said.

"You're the unwanted house guest," I told her. "Go feed yourself."

She gave me a glare as she left, and I looked to Damon, nodding for him to come closer.

~

Damon stood over my shoulder, looking at the location of the massacre when Stefan walked in. "Well, nothing in any of these. Find anything?"

I nodded, but knowing Katherine could hear me, I said, "Nope."

I handed him the journal, and he read, looking up, playing along. "That's too bad."

"Yeah, bummer," Damon said.

~

We heard Katherine fighting with something, and Damon had gone downstairs.

When Stefan and I got there, he was using a large as hell flame torch to light Elijah's body on fire, then aimed it at the air.

"What the hell are you doing?" I demanded.

"Some kind of crazy ass psychic witch attack!" Damon answered. Then he looked at Stefan. "Get over there and do something about it. Go!"

Finally, Stefan left.

~

Upstairs, Damon had a blood bag, stopping me in the hall. "Hey, Nikki, can I see onr of your stakes?"

I shrugged, dropping one out of my sleeve and in my hand, tossing it to Damon. He caught it, walking into the living room, giving Katherine the blood bag, then drove the stake in her stomach.

"What the hell?" Katherine demanded.

"That's for not telling me the dagger would kill me," Damon said. "Next time . . . It goes in your heart."

I chuckled, turning around for the stairs, and going up for the night.

I helped find the witch massacre in a bunch of boring Jonathan Gilbert journals and let Damon stake Katherine. I felt satisfyed for the night.

And I was going to sleep before something could ruin that.