Chapter 15__The Dinner Party

Walking into the dinning room to see Jenna and Andie Starr from the news was a shock.

Jenna saw me first. "Oh, Nicola! You staying for the dinner party?"

"Dinner party?" I repeated.

"Yeah," Jenna said, confused. "Damon didn't tell you?"

I exhaled. "Uh, yeah." Hell, no, he didn't! "Where's Damon?"

"In the library with Ric."

"Of course he is." I walked out, toward the library.

~

I walked in the same time I heard Alaric say, "No. I don't like the idea Elijah being in the same house with Jenna."

"Jenna's perfectly safe," Damon said.

"Are you out of your mind?" I asked, walking closer.

"Ah, how did I know you'd have something negative to say about this?" Damon asked, turning to face me.

"'Cause I'm not an idiot, like you," I said. "Why didn't you tell me?"

"To avoid this reaction," Damon answered. "Relax, it's just a fact-finding mission. It's totally harmless."

"Just a fact-finding mission?" I repeated.

"Yeah," Damon answered.

"Listen, no sneak attacks," Alaric said. "No surprise plans. Nothing that's gonna put Jenna in harm's way. Okay?"

"Scout's honor," Damon said, putting up a hand and on his shoulder.

Alaric still looked suspicious.

Andie walked in. "Hey, Jenna needs help with the wine." She looked from me to Alaric.

Damon smiled, patting Alaric's arm, then gave me a wink as Alaric walked up the stairs. Andie looked at me, and I held up my hands. "Fine." I pointed at Damon. "I still have your blood in my system, so if I die tonighr and become a vampire, I'm personally gonna come back and kill you."

"Noted," Damon said as I walked up the stairs past his compelled girlfriend.

"Thanks," Andie said as I left.

~

When the doorbell rang, I opened the door and saw John as he walked past me, Damon walking closer as I looked at him, asking, "Who the hell invited him?"

"John," Damon said. "Surprise."

I nodded to the open door. "Leave."

John looked at me. "When Jenna told me she was coming to a dinner party for Elijah, I decided I couldn't miss out on all the fun and games."

Alaric walked in from behind me. "There are not going to be any games tonight, John. It's just a friendly dinner party."

John looked at Damon, who said, "What he said."

~

Again, I opened the door, this time for Elijah, Damon coming closer.

"Good evening," Elijah said.

"Thank you for coming," Damon said as he stood behind me, looking over my shoulder. "Please, come in."

"Just one moment. Can I just say that if you have less than honorable intentions about how this evening is going to proceed, I suggest you reconsider."

"No, nothing, nothing dishonorable," I said, giving Damon a pointed look. I looked back at Elijah. "Just getting to know you."

"Hmm," Elijah hummed. "Well, that's good." He walked past us. "Though I know Damon would do so with or without your permission. Because, you know, although Elena and I have this deal, if you so much as make a move to cross me, I'll kill you and I'll kill everyone in this house. Are we clear?"