Chapter 20__The Last Day

In the library, Elijah explained everything. "Tonight is the full moon. We should assume that Klaus is prepared to break the curse."

"Elena said the sun and the moon curse is fake," Stefan said. "That it's just actually a curse placed on Klaus."

"Klaus is a vampire born of a werewolf bloodline," Elijah explained. "The curse has kept his werewolf aspect from manifesting. But if he breaks it, he'll be a true hybrid."

"Then why are we letting him break the curse?" Damon asked as he walked in. "We can kill him today. With Bonnie."

"Damon . . ." Stefan trailed off.

"No," Elena said. "Bonnie can't use that much power without dying."

"I'll writr her a great eulogy," Damon said.

"It's not an option, Damon," Elena told him.

"All right, how do we break this curse?" I asked.

"Well, the ritual itself is relatively straightforward," Elijah answered. "The ingredients, so to speak, you already know."

"The moonstone," Stefan said.

"A witch will channel the power of the full moon to release the spell that's bound within the stone," Elijah told us. "After that, Klaus, being both werewolf and vampire, will sacrifice one of each."

"And where do I fit into it?" Elena asked.

"The final part of the ritual," Elijah answered, taking a wooden box from a shelf. "Klaus must drink the blood of the Doppelganger . . .to the point of your death."

Stefan took Elena's hand as Elena looked at Elijah as he opened the box and took a jar out. "And that's where you come in."

"This is an elixir that I acquired some 500 years ago for Katerina," Elijah explained. "It possesses mysticl properties of resuscitation."

"So I'll be dead?" Elena asked.

"And then you won't," Elijah finished.

"That's your plan?" Damon asked. "A magical witch potion with no expiration date?" He looked at Elena. "You want to come back to life, what about John's ring?"

"Those rings only work on humans," Elijah stated. "The Doppelganger's a supernatural occurence. Odds are, the ring won't work."

"I'll take those odds over your elixir," Damon replied. "What if it doesn't work, Elena?"

"Then I guess I'll just be dead," Elena said.

Damon looked at Stefan. Stefan shrugged with sadness. Damon looked at me. I didn't react. Damon looked at Elijah before leaving the room.

"Do we know if Klaus has everything he needs to do this?" I asked. "Does he have a werewolf?"

"Klaus has been waiting to break this curse for over a thousand years," Elijah said. "If he doesn't already have a werewolf, my guess is by tonight, he will."

~

"Get out!" I heard Jenna yell.

"Jenna, Jenna!" Alaric's voice yelled.

"Get out!" Jenna repeated.

I stepped into the hall, Jenna holding a crossbow pointed at Alaric.

But was it really Alaric? Or was it still Klaus?

"Jenna, put the crossbow down, okay?" Alaric asked. "It's me."

"Stay away from me," Jenna said.