Chapter 11__By the Light of the Moon

Damon, Stefan and I were talking in the tomb, and Stefan asked, "You trapped her at the house?" 

"It's for the best," Damon said. "Trust me. Elena is on a martyr tear that rivals your greatest hits. You should be glad the witch and I are even getting along." 

"I brought you this," I said, giving him a bag. "Care package: Candles, lanterns." 

"Don't forget lunch," Damon said, showing us a bottle of blood.

"Give that to me, and I'm just gonnah have to share it with her," Stefan said.

We looked to Katherine standing not far away, crossing her arms.

"Yeah . . ." I trailed off.

"You three are surprisingly calm, considering Klaus will hunt you down and kill you if you mess with his plan," Katherine said.

"I've been dead before," Damon said. "I got over it." 

I looked at Stefan. "Once we deal with this moonstone, we'll figure a way to get you out." 

"Don't worry about me," Stefan said. "Just make sure Elena's safe." 

Damon looked at Katherine. "Come on, Nikki. Don't want to be a vampire's chew toy again, do you?" 

I gave Stefan an awkward smile before following after Damon.

~

I was alone at the house for most of the day until I was in the library and saw Rose. "You just can't stay away, can you?" 

"I'm looking for Damon," Rose said. "He doesn't answer his phone." 

"After abandoning them in RIchmond, can you blame him?" I asked. Rose didn't answer. "What do you want?" 

"I wanted to apologize to him."

"Just admit it. You don't have anywhere else to go." 

"You know, Nicola, you pretend to be a rude bitch sometimes, but I've seen how much you care about Stefan and Damon," Rose said. I didn't answer. "And I know you'd do anything for them just like they'd do anything for you." 

"Is there a point to you being here?" I asked.

"Would Damon listen if I told him I was sorry about Elena? That I wasn't thinking straight. I didn't know she had a death wish, but I called him, tried to make it right, okay? Can you tell him I'm sorry?" I tilted my head, nodding. "And I have nowhere else to go." 

"I'll give Damon the message, but there's nothing here for you, Rose," I told her.

"Wow," Rose said. "Well, then . . . " 

I thought I heard something, looking toward Rose to see if she had too. She had, judging by her look, and I walked into the living room to see what the hell it was, and Rose followed.

A wolf burst through a window, shattering it, and I grabbed the sord hanging on the wall, swinging it as Rose saw the wolf coming.

"Nicola!" Rose yelled, pushing me away as the wolf landed on her, pushing her to the floor and biting her shoulder, making her scream.

I stood, pushing the sword into the werewolf's side, making it run and leave the way it had come.

I dropped the sword, kneeling next to Rose, remembering the legend that said that a werewolf bite could kill a vampire. "How bad is it?" 

"It hurts," Rose answered.

I watched as the wound healed. "It's healing." 

"Oh, my God," Rose said. "I thought a werewolf bite was fatale. I thought . . ." 

She started to cry into my shoulder, and I sat still. "You're gonna be okay." 

"Nikki?" Damon's voice called as he walked in, then looked at us, with me on the floor, Rose crying into my shoulder, and the sword next to us with the tip covered in blood in surprise. "What the hell happened?" 

I exhaled, neither of us saying anything.

At least no one died tonight.