Chapter Ten

I stand in an empty room, silent as death. “Death is absolute,” the shadows say, breaking the silence. “He broke you, didn’t he? That’s why you’re here. You want to die. You want to feel deaths cold embrace.” I try to speak, but no sound comes out. “Only the truth is allowed to be spoken here. So I ask, do you want to die?” No sound. I try to move but I’m frozen in my spot by fear. The shadows dance around, drawing closer to me. “Do you want to die?” No sound escapes my lips. The shadows rise up before me. My heart races and my breathing becomes shallow. My body shakes. “I’ll ask one last time. Do you want to die?” A calm feeling floods through me, washing everything away. I take a deep breath. A single word leaves my lips before the shadows descend. “Yes.”

I open my eyes, stretch, then roll over and look at my clock. It is one in the morning. The house is silent. I crawl out of bed and walk over to my door. I open and peek out into the hallway. I silently slip out of my room and close the door before tiptoeing down to the kitchen. I open the cabinet and pull out a full bottle of Jack Daniels. I close the cabinet, tiptoe through the house and slip out into the night, silent as death.