Chapter Eleven

Ville’s point of view

I toss and turn, unable to sleep. Something keeps bugging me. I sigh, get out of bed and head to the bathroom. I walk back to my room. Before I lay back down, I hear knocking. I scratch my head and follow the sound to the front door. I open it to see a police officer holding Skylar by the arm. I look at them, confused.

“What’s going on, Officer?” Skylar jerks her arm out of the officer’s grip and tries to walk away but she stumbles and falls on her ass. I walk over to her and pick her up, despite her weak protests. I look at the officer.

“I was making my rounds when I noticed something slumped in one of the swings at the park. I went to check it out. She was sitting there with a broken Jack Daniels bottle next to her. I noticed blood on the glass. She had cut her wrists. I rushed her to the hospital. They are shallow. The nurse said not to let her lift anything heavy. One of the nurses recognized her and told me where she lived. I assume she’s in safe hands?” I nod my head and look down at Skylar. She hides her face from me. “Have a nice night.” The officer leaves. I head back into the house with Skylar in my arms.

I walk to her room and set her on the bed. I walk back to close the door and turn the light on. I stare at her, open my mouth and close it again. I don’t know what to say. I run my hands through my hair and start pacing. Emotions rage through me: anger, sorrow, fear, all fighting to take control of me.

I stop, open my mouth, close it and resume pacing. “I told you I didn’t care if I died.”

I freeze and turn towards her. She’s sitting on the edge of the bed, picking at the bandages on her arm. Tears well up in my eyes and spill over as I slowly walk over to her. I kneel down in front and take one of her hands in mine. She doesn’t resist. My hands shake as I undo her bandage. It falls to the floor and reveals her wound.

“Satisfied?” I re-wrap her wrist, stand up and wipe the tears from my face. I take a deep breath.

“Why do you want to die?” I whisper. She doesn’t answer and she won’t look at me. I grab her chin and make her look at me. “Why?” I growl. I’m crying again. She shoves me away.

“Why do you care?” she snaps. I stare at her in bewilderment.

“Why do I care? I love you. You’re amazing, funny, beautiful. I love being around you. I can’t lose someone I love again, not when I can prevent it.” She pulls her legs up to her chest and hugs them.

“Who did you lose?” she asks quietly. “My sister,” I reply as I sit down and lean against her bed. “What happened?” I sigh and run my hands through my hair. Then I start my story.

“I was seven when my sister was raped by her high school math teacher. She was fifteen. A few months later, I found her dead in her room. She had cut herself. My parents never told me why until years later. That bastard had gotten her pregnant and she didn’t want to bring his baby into the world. I never noticed that she wasn’t herself. If there was just something I could have done, maybe-“ I start sobbing.

The bed moves as Skylar moves down to sit next to me. I hold my arms out and she climbs onto my lap. She wraps her arms around me and holds me as I cry.

Comment and vote!